majors 2023 garden

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
with all the flooding out in california produce is going to be sky high this year<like it's not all ready>it might be a good year to put a stand out front.. heck if you make your money back from buying seeds/starts/fertilizer you are doing good.

@seedcorn you nailed it.. not many of their children want a farmers life, my kids did not want anything to do with the gardens, had to pay them to come and water if we were gone for a week. but they sure love eating out of it.
both are now living in the city.

many years ago tobacco was king out here every farmer grew it, then the fed's came in and regulated the price, so they switched to corn and soy, as they passed away the kids look for $$$$$ or they retired and wanted to move and sold off for $$$$ now we have sub divisions popping up faster than corn sprouts

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In the Pacific Northwest many fields are being flipped to either grow blueberries, or hops and grains for the thriving micro-brew industry. These are long-term, perennial crops that will not easily be rotated into something else, so it concerns me a bit that we will run out of fertile agricultural land for food crops. Or that the price of the vegetables that are grown will go up significantly.

We have an agricultural land reserve that is intended to protect prime farmland, but the owners are sometimes trying to shake that designation so that they can build on it instead. Real estate prices are absolutely nutty around here.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
SO glad to see you back, again!! :weee:weee:weee
You must have healed up.
I was thinking about you when WeatherNation mentioned the snowfall in Lake Tahoe...
I, too, fall gardened...cucumbers and beans and put away 11 quarts of beans.
I was just talking to @AMKuska about you, too!!
Ears must have been ringing.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
SO glad to see you back, again!! :weee:weee:weee
You must have healed up.
I was thinking about you when WeatherNation mentioned the snowfall in Lake Tahoe...
I, too, fall gardened...cucumbers and beans and put away 11 quarts of beans.
I was just talking to @AMKuska about you, too!!
Ears must have been ringing.
healed up ? that depends on which hospital stay.....lol

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spring is here...... so are the improvements...🤣🤣
Our foot bridge is way over due for replacement, wife kept telling me to stay off it or I'm going to rip everything and be back in the hospital if it breaks... SO that's this weekends outdoor project....<besides possibility of tilling the main garden>
IMG_0255.JPG

And then there's the new wild flower bed, can procrastinate on that one for a weekend or two.
going to build it from corner to corner where the old pallets are. funny how the mind works when your on meds and you follow though....:gig
IMG_0256.JPG

Already have hollyhocks, foxglove and snap dragons started..., once this really warm up have a couple wild flower packets that i will get planted.....
HUM.....one more thing to water, one more thing to mow around, one more thing to weed....🤔

yup worth it.....

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
it's done......
a little wider than the other one and a lot heavier duty aka. <built like a brick sh!thouse > will enjoy many years of driving all the gardening toys over it.
did have to stop a couple times, still a little tender in the chest....
IMG_0259.JPG

and all the pieces left over will make wife a couple 3x3x8 planter boxes....
IMG_0260.JPG

Latest posts