majors 2023 garden

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
4/24 update...

today was my last day of getting off early, dw has been up north seeing her father< been in and out of hospitals> somebody had to let the dogs out....... wink wink.....

figured it was a great time to run the tiller though the main garden, might even do a final till Wednesday. they are calling for rain thurs- sunday from sprinkles to a quarter inch. hopefully it's on the light side really want to get the children in the ground. either way get to play in dirt...
do need to run the mini tiller along the wild flower fence. for some reason they don't understand to stay on their side....
IMG_0351.JPG

looking forward to eating fresh mators, peppers, cantaloupe, cucumbers, sweet corn.

HAPPY 2023 GARDENING SEASON....

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Major, I grow my zucchini on a 4’ metal stake. I really like this method. I didn’t get any powdery mildew and it allows me to plant a couple kale plants in front of it.

This pic is of it in late season.
I would not have thought it possible to grow a zucchini vertically. The bushes always seem like a big blob, with no vine. Does the plant have a tendency to vine more it you train it upwards? I would love to be able to do this!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Major, I grow my zucchini on a 4’ metal stake. I really like this method. I didn’t get any powdery mildew and it allows me to plant a couple kale plants in front of it.

This pic is of it in late season.
Did you tie it to the stake? Not even your zucchini is allowed to be messy! :lol:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
end of the month up-date.......
on the 27th mother nature said NO NO i will not let you play in the garden....take that was able to get the mators in on Saturday, but she won and stopped. nothing but slop...grrrrr we have received close to 2.5" of rain with more to come.
IMG_0358.JPG

but did finish up on the plum project as well on Saturday. installed the boarders, mulch and temporary deer protectors.
IMG_0354.JPG
and to boot we even have a plum..
IMG_0357.JPG

after going shopping this morning went out and did the 1st of the 2023 season harvest out of the beds.
nothing like a pop of a freshly picked radish. delicious. and trimmed some green mix, baby bok chio and black hawk lettuce for dinner...
IMG_0353.JPG

Last edited:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
5/8/23...What a wimpy main garden this year..... but as empty nesters no reason to plant a ton

but finished up planting, caging and laying out the soaker hoses

usually have 14+ mator plants in there, this year 6
L 3 phoenix
R 3 regal plum
IMG_0374.JPG

there are plenty of peppers this year...
2 highlanders
2 yankee
2 paladin
2 sunshine
2 sweet banana
1 sweet Italian
1 pepperchini
IMG_0377.JPG

No garden can be without french cantaloupes. it's the only melon I grow now. okay every great blue moon a stars and moon watermelon. planted 10 <double per pot> they have all of the lower end of the garden this year to vine out.
IMG_0376.JPG

and then there is the lonely salt and pepper cucumber, dw makes bread and butter pickles with them of course fresh eating.
IMG_0375.JPG

and then there was my dumbas$ accident, this spring spent $$ and time to fix up the tow-behind sprayer. what did i do when backing-up, popped a hole in the tank...grrrrrrrrrrrrrr while spraying for poison ivy< good lord> we have have a bumper crop of it this year...it's everywhere.
thats going to be a major fiberglass repair job this weekend...
IMG_0379.JPG

happy gardening.......

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey! YOU didn’t poke that hole in the tank! That looks like a SQUIRREL attack if I ever saw one! Blasted SQUIRRELS! Mean, vicious, terrible little creature that plot against us! Yup. SQUIRREL attack!

I have first hand knowledge of SQUIRREL attacks! I was driving down the road, minding my own business, when a suicidal SQUIRREL jumped out in front of my 2022 Hyundai Accent car. KA-THUMP! That blasted Kamakazie SQUIRREL dragged the plastic skid plate and cracked the bumper. A SQUIRREL! A DINGBLASTED SQUIRREL!! A body shop charged me $625 to fix the bumper and order a new plastic piece. All because of a stupid dead SQUIRREL!!!

Your tank is plastic. SQUIRRELS know this. SQUIRRELS are out there waiting……

BEWARE THE SQUIRRELS !!!!!

🐿️ 🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey! YOU didn’t poke that hole in the tank! That looks like a SQUIRREL attack if I ever saw one! Blasted SQUIRRELS! Mean, vicious, terrible little creature that plot against us! Yup. SQUIRREL attack!

I have first hand knowledge of SQUIRREL attacks! I was driving down the road, minding my own business, when a suicidal SQUIRREL jumped out in front of my 2022 Hyundai Accent car. KA-THUMP! That blasted Kamakazie SQUIRREL dragged the plastic skid plate and cracked the bumper. A SQUIRREL! A DINGBLASTED SQUIRREL!! A body shop charged me $625 to fix the bumper and order a new plastic piece. All because of a stupid dead SQUIRREL!!!

Your tank is plastic. SQUIRRELS know this. SQUIRRELS are out there waiting……

BEWARE THE SQUIRRELS !!!!!

🐿️ 🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️🐿️
If you keep yelling "SQUIRREL!" you might find yourself surrounded by dogs.

I'm surprised that a squirrel could do that much damage to a car... but then, I guess everything is bigger in Texas. :D