majors 2023 garden

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@AMKuska around here we usually get 3-4 storms sometimes it’s all snow other times it’s a mix of snow and ice. on the average it’s 5-7” for the ice about a 1/4”, either way it shuts down everything for a couple days. They see a snow flake and school is closed for the week.
It usually melts in a couple days and if it’s cold the roads get icy every night.
Worst year was 2012 temp dropped so fast that salt or brine did not work once scrapped it was an ice rink and it kept snowing for 2 days we got around 18”. If you hear the weather person mention possible bad storm later this week don’t wait get your groceries now if you wait like everybody here all your going to get is smoked oysters.
Oh yes fill your car and gas cans for the generator if power goes out it might last for a day or two days, 4 days was our record.
The power company has been out clearing and replacing lines and poles the last couple years. Still ice storms are the worst.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
guess my jumping the gun and planting seeds 1st part of march basically failed, so after work replanted everything and planted beets and spinach plus for laughs planted a couple zukes and squash seeds.
IMG_0262.JPG

since i was in the mood took the oregano from the porch and planted them as well.
IMG_0264.JPG

yesterday found a elephant garlic out by the well, staked it so i dont mow it over it again. this weekend will dig it up and replant in the bed with the others.. oh you have to love spring weeds
IMG_0263.JPG

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@majorcatfish it is so good seeing you back on TEG. As you can see you were missed. ;) Your garden look amazing (as usual) ours still has a bit of snow and lots of mud. Weather looks iffy again for the weekend. Dang winter will not just go away. DH is busy in greenhouse and under basement grow lights, very anxious to get out there.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
this morning transplanted the mators..
IMG_0272.JPG

after getting back from our road trip, repotted some bok chio, hopefully next weekend will do the same for the peppers as well, of course all the others.
IMG_0273.jpg

and theres the flowers as well some for dw and some for me...
IMG_0274.jpg

yes yes i have said for many years i was going to do the weave for mators, and never did it, but this is the year it will happen.
looks like i will need to fire up the lower table since there are plenty of more seeds to start...

with the .38" of rain we received today tilling the main garden might be out of the question tomorrow. but theres plenty of things to do to get ready.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
looked at the 10 day forecast seems like a good time to throw some of the kids out of the house.
days L 56*-H 81*
nights L41*- H 61*
IMG_0283.JPG

dont worry i will still feed and water them. with the home schooling i been giving them, some might even take up roots around here..... 🤣 🤣

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
4/23 update..
spent a good portion of the morning playing in the gardens, you knew planting, weeding, setting up, fertilizing..

the main bed area...

bed 1...looking forward to start eating fresh radishes, green mix aka tasty weeds, lettuce, bok chio.
IMG_0336.JPG

bed 2.....

more radishes, just sprouting green bush beans, spinach, golden beets
IMG_0335.JPG

bed 3........
celery, more lettuce, yellow bush beans<just sprouting >, a couple carrots from last fall, and baby type bok chio
IMG_0333.JPG

looking forward to eating this red loose leaf lettuce.<black hawk> oops missed a weed....
IMG_0334.JPG

bed 4.......
one yellow squash and one zucchini. still need to get straw to cover everything in-between. read a article about growing them up a post. okay will give it a whirl <well with a running as a trial. will keep you posted though out the season how it goes.
IMG_0332.JPG

bed 5....
yes one lonely cucumber for that whole bed.. been growing them <pepinex> for 3 years now did not realize they were so prolific i mean prolific. so have cut it back to 1 plant for the last 2 years and still giving away buckets throughout the season. yes will cover the whole bed with straw as well.
IMG_0331.JPG

bed 6.........
upper end is oregano <greek> good lord the elephant garlic is taking over. once harvested will divide and replant in the old melon bed this summer/fall.
IMG_0330.JPG

the east beds.

set up the trellis fence and planted the <tropic> tomatoes in the upper bed. the lower bed will be for the brussels sprouts once ready to be planted. final doing the weave...
IMG_0338.JPG

other plantings....

the plum trees.... ruby sweet near, santa rosa far,<starks bros> in the ground and happy still need to finish the borders around them..
IMG_0340.JPG

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
4/23 part 2 update...

children in the waiting...
everyone is waiting for the main garden to dry enough to till and plant...
IMG_0347.JPG

don't let that driest fool you, it's wet underneath want perfection before planting...

IMG_0342.JPG

the flower beds.....

last years has color....
IMG_0345.JPG

then theres this years flower bed...lots to flowers i started and of course some wild flower seeds casted in-between.
IMG_0337.JPG

Latest posts