Mauldintigers 2016 Garden

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

A moth from Florida that migrates north, lays eggs that bore into cucurbits. Usually get here in July, today is two weeks earlier than normal. I found my first one today and sprayed all my fruits with Bt. Especially bad on winter squash you are trying to keep. Summer squash you can cut them out and still eat them. The pics are of a hard butternut and a young Tromboncino. They especially like cukes.

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Baymule, thanks, third year for me! It really is amazing to think that heavy mulch can produce the results I'm getting. Lots of grass clippings, leaves and straw.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think we must have pickle worms up here. I can see why they call them pickle worms!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Let's say nice things about 'Tiger's garden so we can fill up this second page quickly and ..

. I don't have to see the pictures of those pests every time I come back to check this thread!

You sure have some nice things growing in your garden, @Mauldintiger !

It's a nice thing you have built for those tomatoes!

What a nice thing to have all that produce coming in!!!

Nice of you to share the information and (some) of those pictures ...

I can think of more nice things to say but I've filled up one post!

Steve o_O

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Baymule, thanks, third year for me! It really is amazing to think that heavy mulch can produce the results I'm getting. Lots of grass clippings, leaves and straw.
At our old house, I started with ground so hard, grass wouldn't grow on it and very few weeds. Lots of compost and mulch later, I could sink a spading fork with one hand. Here at our new place, it is pure sand. I call it Texas Snow. No nutrients, no humus, not much of anything except weeds that grow over my head. Got lots of work to do!

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
image.jpeg
@baymule, keep piling on the mulch, I will usually have 18" of leaves and grass clippings by late fall and by spring it's down to only 4-5". I also started getting 15 gallons of coffee grounds from a local coffee shop each week back in February. I just spread them directly on the garden for another nitrogen source. Clemson's soil test this spring showed high levels of all nutrients and a ph of 6.5. Their test doesn't show nitrogen, but all my stuff has great color and production, so I'm going to just keep on mulching without any other fertilizer. My red clay has turned mostly black, thanks to the mulch and worms.