Mauldintigers 2016 Garden

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My garden is in serious trouble! I don't know what I am going to do! It's being taken over by 2 strange plants that are growing about a foot a day in all directions!
Seriously, I may have to start cutting back my Tromboncino plants before they start shading out other plants. It's not only a fast grower, but it's also productive!
image.jpeg

These five make 9 that I have harvested since Monday from two plants! And there's probably 5-6 more out there. The plan for the rest of the day is to preserve squash in some form or fashion.
Picked almost a gallon of tomatoes today, so maybe they are starting to come on. Maybe watering yesterday helped. If we don't get a rain today, I'm going to water again tomorrow morning.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can shred the squash and package 2 cups of shredded squash in zip lock bags and freeze them. Then you have pre-measured squash for squash bread and fritters, both are delicious.

Do you have a dehydrator? I wanted to make dehydrated "noodles" AKA long strips of squash for lasagna, but my zucchini is doing nothing.

For fried squash in the winter, I slice the squash, don't blanch, pack in vacuum bags and use my Foodsaver to vacuum and seal the bags. I let it thaw, cut a corner off the bag and drain the water out. Then I twist and wring the bag until I have squeezed all the water out that I can get. Open the bag, dredge the slices in cornmeal and fry.

I grew Tromboncino several years ago and that was a fun squash to grow. I used a bag of shredded Tromboncino in chili as a thickener. After the chili simmered for awhile, the squash disappeared, didn't even know it was in there.

Latest posts