Meet Pearl, New Horse

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a german shorthair pointer that died shortly after being wormed. We did not realize she had such a bad case and how thin and weak she was. Yes the toxin the worms released was what took her. Brandy was less than 2 years old. She was a sweet girl.

Exactly my point. So sorry you lost your dog. :hugs

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is Pearl yesterday.

1F0D3D45-D863-44AE-A83B-0F8B3752E44A.jpeg

AA6BD229-6F8F-411A-93D4-1A7F7B25848F.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
She whickered at me this evening when I took her pellets to her. She was pacing the fence, wanting her pellets. I was happy that she felt good enough to pace the fence and happy that she now recognizes that I bring her feed. She did behave well when I poured her pellets in the tub, no crowding or ears pinned back.

I forgot to give her more hay and had already taken off my farm shoes and sat down. DH still had his boots on, so he went out there to give her hay for the night. Pearl came to the fence and he patted her and hugged her neck.

Pearl got a small watermelon from the garden today. She ate most of it and enjoyed it.

I checked her for sand in her gut this morning. The way you do that is to take several fresh horse poop balls and put them in a jar. Add water and shake. Let it settle. If there is sand in the bottom, the horse has sand in their intestinal tract and needs help. There is a horse product called Sand Clear which is Psyllium husk. It pushes the sand out and cleans up the gut. I looked carefully at the jar this evening and there was no sand in the bottom.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule you mentioned float her teeth. What does that mean?

Mary
Horses teeth continue to grow. They wear down by the grinding of the grass they eat (or hay and feed). As their teeth wear, sometimes they don't wear evenly, leaving sharp points on their teeth. Say the sharp points are on the bottom teeth and when the horse chews it's food, the sharp points stick in the gums of the upper teeth, and it hurts. Their feed, grass, hay won't be well chewed and they also drop feed because it hurts to completely close their mouth.

Veterinarians use a large file to file the teeth evenly. The file can be a hand file or electric.

upload_2018-11-10_19-13-29.jpeg

Latest posts