Meet Pearl, New Horse

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule , is there any way to know anything about her background or training? When I got Gail her Jocky Club papers were vague at best but I was able to use her lip tattoo to find out about her racing experiance. You said that you didn't know if she had been registered, but if T.Walkers have a similar tattoo system, you MIGHT be able to find out.
I imagine that since she's destined to be a friend and trail companion, her past training won't have THAT much of an effect, but it would be nice to know if she ever showed or was bred.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@baymule, sounds like you know how to feed a hard keeper or starvation case! I wanted to put in my 2 cents worth bc we KNOW that many people troll sites before landing and a LOT of people do not understand how to put weight on livestock. You NEVER know if this was the first time a new horse owner is reading a thread with experienced horse owner comments, even Though this is an off topic site thread. CERTAINLY, I wasn't going to criticize you, since you TRUELY rescued this horse.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy we have a lot of trees, roots would be a problem. Marigold wouldn’t be able to dig a hole deep enough, it would take a backhoe. If euthanized, I wouldn’t want their bodies buried here, full of poison, it could get in the water table. The vet won’t shoot them, we sure couldn’t do it. Not enough land to take them to the back 40, shoot them and let buzzards and coyotes eat them. We have considered all the possibilities. We want what would be easiest and best for them. The vet would sedate them before giving them the euthanasia drug. Since we know they are sick, they are not going to get better, we have been preparing for that day when we have to let them go. We spent about a week crying over it. When that day comes, it will be a bad day.
We have a backhoe come. And they are buried far from any homes.When my mare had to be put down the vet said there is a service that comes to get them for $800.00 for burial and more for cremation.
In our area of Cal. , it is illegal to bury your dead horse on your own property. Cremation costs $800+ . Taking them to our nearest rendering plant costs $150 , that is IF they will take the dead horse. leaving them to rot in the lower 40 ... a few dozen buzzards and a few dozen coyotes will devour the body in a few days , but the stench or rotting flesh is overpowering for a mile or more if the horse expires in summer when our temps are over 100* - 115* + for weeks on end. Then when only bones are left, and you have attracted the coyote hordes from miles around, they will then kill and devour your cats and dogs or any other livestock that you may have. A terrible price to pay, don't you think ?

. That would have been a tough one but cheaper than I thought it would be.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
In our area of Cal. , it is illegal to bury your dead horse on your own property. Cremation costs $800+ . Taking them to our nearest rendering plant costs $150 , that is IF they will take the dead horse. leaving them to rot in the lower 40 ... a few dozen buzzards and a few dozen coyotes will devour the body in a few days , but the stench or rotting flesh is overpowering for a mile or more if the horse expires in summer when our temps are over 100* - 115* + for weeks on end. Then when only bones are left, and you have attracted the coyote hordes from miles around, they will then kill and devour your cats and dogs or any other livestock that you may have. A terrible price to pay, don't you think ?
The body of an animal euthanized is toxic. Learned that at a raptor sanctuary.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy we have a lot of trees, roots would be a problem. Marigold wouldn’t be able to dig a hole deep enough, it would take a backhoe. If euthanized, I wouldn’t want their bodies buried here, full of poison, it could get in the water table. The vet won’t shoot them, we sure couldn’t do it. Not enough land to take them to the back 40, shoot them and let buzzards and coyotes eat them. We have considered all the possibilities. We want what would be easiest and best for them. The vet would sedate them before giving them the euthanasia drug. Since we know they are sick, they are not going to get better, we have been preparing for that day when we have to let them go. We spent about a week crying over it. When that day comes, it will be a bad day.
I have put down 2 old sick horses.I have put down an old healthy horse that broke her leg. That was the worst. No emotional prep time. But when they are in so much pain you can see it on the faces. I cried for her but had no regrets in putting her out of her misery. The thing about horses is they suffer in silence. But having a plan is so important.

Latest posts