Meet Pearl, New Horse

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have put down 2 old sick horses.I have put down an old healthy horse that broke her leg. That was the worst. No emotional prep time. But when they are in so much pain you can see it on the faces. I cried for her but had no regrets in putting her out of her misery. The thing about horses is they suffer in silence. But having a plan is so important.

I raised greyhounds for years and I have put many to sleep. One had bone cancer. I had tried to save her and her last day I brought her in the house and fed her, let her sleep on the couch and then took her to the vet. It was hard. I have put many cats to sleep and one cat I did not. I knew she was going to die, but I just let her die at home, but I should have put her to sleep. I always regret I did not shorten her suffering. The rabbits, I have taken 3 to the vet to be put down instead of letting them suffer.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
:celebrate I found a model of Sweet Pearl!!
KTG403.jpg

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think if you keep large animals and are reaping profits from keeping them then you should also be dealing with their death in a responsible manner. using them to bait wildlife is pretty dispicable.

composting an animal isn't the same as leaving it out to be picked over by buzzards and coyotes, but i'm ok with that too. you know, i've heard the refrain from pig/chicken/etc. mass market farmers where they have a stench and they say, 'that smells like money!' well... sometimes they need to figure it out at the other end too... the stench of death is a part of a normal life cycle in any functioning ecosystem. if you can't take that then perhaps you'd be in the wrong business...
The dispicable part of your comments is that you as well as the rest of the bleeding heart activists do NOT understand what costs not only in dollars, but blood , sweat, and tears one has to input into horses or any other livestock animals to hopefully reap a small reward in a form of a profit. In real life of tax returns, even the Government only expects horse owners to make a profit in 2 out of 7 years. And due to leanth of lifespan and time of reproduction, all other livestock, dogs, cats, etc. the Gov. expects the farmers to make a profit in 2 out of 5 years. :old

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
OH.. I am TOTALLY hopping over to BYH now! :D

She PM'ed me because she didn't want to open herself to the professional critics.....

Just for y'all, I copied some of it.

The new mare you got, I got a lot of vibes off of her I want to share. And I have felt that you understand that its more than just observation, its a feeling of knowing and understanding. Pearl is an old soul, and even after all she has been through she still has some hope/kindness left, although there are still some trust issues. I think she will be a teacher for you, a test if you will. She has not seen genuine kindness in a long time, and I see a very strong bond that will be formed between you two specifically. Even though I am just seeing pictures of her I can feel her soft energy. I look forward to what you two will do. I also think she will have some issues(trust wise) around her withers.

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
:celebrate I found a model of Sweet Pearl!!
View attachment 29231
How uncanny! It DOES look like Pearl!

It is cold here today and windy, but the sun has come out after weeks of drizzle, rain, dark cloudy days and gloom. Pearl has finally quit eating her hay and is standing out in the sunshine. That horse has barely come up for air, for eating her hay. She is one flake away from consuming a 70 pound square bale. It's nice to see her soaking up the sunshine.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule, sounds like you know how to feed a hard keeper or starvation case! I wanted to put in my 2 cents worth bc we KNOW that many people troll sites before landing and a LOT of people do not understand how to put weight on livestock. You NEVER know if this was the first time a new horse owner is reading a thread with experienced horse owner comments, even Though this is an off topic site thread. CERTAINLY, I wasn't going to criticize you, since you TRUELY rescued this horse.
I always welcome discussion on caring for animals. Even though I have done this before, I am open to learning more. This morning I gave her 5 cups of feed, this evening I will give her 6 cups. I gave her Garlic Barrier (garlic juice) 2 days ago for worms. I am going to give her more this evening. I use it on my sheep and their eye membranes stay dark, brilliant pink. I want to gently kill any worms she might have before giving her ivermectin, which I will do in a couple of days. For those who don't know, if you kill all the worms at once, they release toxins when they die. On a starved and weakened horse like Pearl, that could make her very sick. So I am trying to gently worm her. In another week or so, she will go to the vet and we'll do a fecal to see if my efforts have been successful and to float her teeth.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a german shorthair pointer that died shortly after being wormed. We did not realize she had such a bad case and how thin and weak she was. Yes the toxin the worms released was what took her. Brandy was less than 2 years old. She was a sweet girl.

Latest posts