Men Would You Wear Pink ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had to order new grooming smocks for the guys. They where just delivered, I ordered them in black, pink where sent. When I called about mix up was told black was on back order so pink was substituted. The guys are refusing to wear pink. I think they are making way to big a deal over color. I need to chose my battles. Men would you wear pink ?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Alex, how do you get yourself into these things so regularly? That's easy to answer, you do things so things happen to you.

Colors can be very symbolic for some people. I remember when the color purple on a TV kids character was a scandal worth of national headlines. Some men don't want to wear pink, I've known women that refused to but a blue school T-shirt for their daughters. That company should not have made that substitution without checking with you first. Whether real mean eat quiche or wear pink is beside the point. That can be a sensitive color for some men, they should have known better.

I don't know what the purchase order allowed, if they can substitute with any color they want or not. Probably, so that may limit your available options. Do they have your logo on them.

Would I wear pink. When I was in college I had a pink dress shirt I often wore to church, with my suit and tie. The first time I went to a certain church, a good foot-washing country Baptist church, two different women invited me to join their family for Sunday dinner. A real friendly country church. Only one had a daughter of eligible age, the other was a grandmother but did not know who all was going to be at Sunday dinner. I was probably wearing that pink shirt, didn't seem to bother them.

I'm of the opinion that real men eat what they want and wear what they want without worrying about what other people think. But there are plenty of macho men out there that would not agree with me on that. If I were in your situation I would make it optional, not force those pink shirts on them. if some of the boys or girls want to wear them let them, but I'd let them know others are on order so it's a temporary situation if case they really don't want to wear them. You won the nose ring battle, is this one you really want to fight?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
To my way of thinking, the pink shows more dirt and would render your employees looking more unkempt throughout the work day, so if the clientele get to see them when they pass through, black would be the better choice or some other color that doesn't show the wet or dirt as easily.

But, dressing all your male employees in pink on a regular basis may also send a negative message, whether people like to admit it or not. Pink is naturally an effeminate color and many women wanting to appear more powerful in corporate settings will never wear pink or any other pastels because they automatically send a softer message, a less powerful and less efficient message, to those viewing them. They've actually done studies on how people view various colors and make assumptions according to those colors being worn.

One article on it: https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/carole-kanchier/what-colour-to-wear_b_1556811.html

So, if you want your employees to seem soft, fragile and caring, pink is a good message. If you want them to seem competent and in control, a darker, less soft color would seem the wiser choice.

I'm with Ridge....no way should they have sent a substitute color without your permission and I'd send them right back. Order from someone more responsible in their business practices. If black is what you want, black is what you should have. Pink is a far, far cry from black. Navy blue would have been a more appropriate substitute.

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with Ridge and Bee, they should have notified you of the back ordered color unless you specified that substitutions were ok. I'd send them back and do business with a different vendor.

I'm not particularly crazy about pink, but it looks good with my skin tone (I'm told) so I have some pink clothes. I am not a man btw, for anybody who wasn't aware... :D so that doesn't really deal with your question, but it won't keep me from giving you my opinion...

What does bewilder me a little is why manufacturers seem to think that females will buy something because it's pink. These are usually items I've noticed that may be considered generally masculine, like hunting equipment.

Personally, I am not interested in pink camo, or a pink rifle. Pink gardening tools don't attract me either, and since I'm thinking about it, pink household tools like screwdrivers and hammers will be passed over, even if they are good quality.
But that's just me.
An old employer I had was mad about everything pink. And everything was pink, even her nursery business building, nearly everything she wore and our employee t-shirts. I got a little pinked out.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm a guy, i've worn pink, i really don't care what anyone else thinks... at the moment i have no pink shirts, i have bright purples, bright greens, blues, whites and yellows. i like bright colors.

agree with others though, shows dirt too easily and the vendor messed up by sending them.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
No logo this company is going down hill fast I think they are going out of busness and just want to unload their stock. Shame they where a great mail order company I used for over 30 years. The last 2years have been disappointed in almost every order I put in. The last order I called was told the 2 owners are fighting and going separate way. Guys dont have to wear any smocks they all have tee shirts with my logo, the smocks just help keep their clothes clean.

Latest posts