Michigan

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I hope these aren't summer squash, I hate squash. the label was for yellow zucchini. Looking at them today though, they are awfully squash shaped. :sick Only way I'll eat beets is pickled, can't stand them otherwise.

Hmmm, canning chicken, I haven't done that before. Canned venison, I may have to give that a try. My roos are a bit on the light side yet though, need another month or so.

Dascountry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We've got a coon! DH is setting the live trap tonight. Two roosters dead :( He found the hole that they or it got into the rooster coop at. I'm hopeing that if they find they can't get into the rooster coop that they don't go and explore the new hen coop. Its pretty secure but......

Watermelon update: size of a golf ball :)
Picked quite a few cukes today. Should have enough on the vines in a week to pickle :weee First time since we've moved north!

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hope you get that coon. we only caught one the night I lost 6 guineas. Had to be at least a couple more since only one guinea body was found. But it's been 4 or 5 nights now and since I've been putting the guineas in bed by hand every night, haven't seen hide nor hair of a coon. Of course, I now have my 22 six week old chickens in the other half of the hutch coop so I'm thinking the extra smells and noise may entice them back. Just hope I'm secure enough that they go for the bait instead of the birds.

My yellow zukes are coming along nicely, DH is threatening to eat one raw. I may let him, going to sautee the next one though in butter and garlic.

Steven

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi all,

Awesome forum here for us growers!
I am in the Muskegon area of Michigan.

Sure could use rain. Morning dew and a few sprinkles is not enough to keep the green green.

BTW...how do I add my picture to these posts? I uploaded one but do not see where to add it...Thanks in advance! :)

Steven

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good Morning Steven! :welcome

If you look where the bold and italic buttons are, you will see the IMG button click on that and copy the link of your photo into the box.

Then hit the preview button before submit to see if it worked. If not check the edit box and make sure there is only one IMG tag before your photo and one /img tag after your photo.

That ought to do it.

what do you have growing? I may pick my first zucchini today.

fair weather chicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
it came , it came , finally a good rain fall, puddles in the drive way. everything looks more hopeful after some of mother natures watering. :thumbsup :ya :woot :tools :rose

Dascountry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Welcome to our little group of gardners Steven. Hey thats my DH and DS's name. Good name :rose

Didn't get the coon but it set off the trap and dug a huge hole under the coop door. Couldn't get it because my very smart DH buried a 2x6 beneath it :plbb Setting the trap again tonight. I think Michigan has a war against the coons this year. Sounds like alot on BYC sight are having alot of problems with them too.

Fairweather: Glad you finally got some rain. From looking at the forcast looks like alot of folks down state are getting some. Just sprinkles here.

I canned 3 qts of pickles, 9 pts green beans and 4 pts of beets today. Picked 8 YES EIGHT zuc's out of the garden today! Medium sized. No red tomatoes though :( But it is still a bit early here for them.

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It rained here for maybe 3-4 hours in the late afternoon, but it was more like a heavy sprinkle. If you stood under a tree you stayed dry. I suppose that is still better than nothing but it didn't alleviate the drought conditions. Sunny today, breezy and pleasant, not at all humid. At least not into the 60% range.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I hate Japanese beetles!!!!!!! They make me say things that would make a sailor blush when I see them. I don't know if I'm going to get any beans this year they've literally all but destroyed them. I've got potatoes to dig tomorrow......otherwise things are doing good. Romas are smaller this year, I think the droughts taken their toll on them. I've been watering, but we'll see.

Already harvested some tomatoes and holy moly are they good! I've also picked my 4th grocery bag worth of pickling cucumbers. They are loving this heat. I wish Id planted watermelons this year its been hot enough for them. I opted pass on those and pumpkins so I wasn't giving up so much space but now I'm kind of wishing I had planted them.

Oh well maybe next year. Hope everybody else is doing good.

Dascountry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Jared are you the one on another thread that gave the recipe for Zuchinni boats? If it was thanks :bow Best way I've had zuc ever! My favorite way of making it now :) As for your garden, it sounds great! I'm still waiting on some red tomatoes yet. :bee And have found that my favorite green bean is the masai.

Latest posts