Michigan

AdamBorzy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This is my first post as a newbie (obviously, don't know where to start posting)
but just thought to drop by to say hello to y'all from Queensland :D

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HI and welcome. :frow Post anywhere, no real hard and fast rules, just be nice to others. Queensland is very far away from Michigan, must be chilly there this time of year?

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, got woken up around 12:40 this morning to the sounds of thunder and some nice rain! No idea how long it lasted but the deck was solidly wet and if it's too light the rain won't reach through the leaves of the front maple tree. So I won't have to water the big garden today. WOOT!

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I found a 2/5 inch diameter pumpkin today! How I missed it before I'll never know but at least I ought to get at least one this year now. Still only can see 2 other 1/2 ones out there. Not very good for 7 hills of 2 plants each! Looks like I have 3 cukes and a zuke ready to harvest today, too. But still 4 hills of zukes aren't showing much of anything. I think I just don't have good enough soil. Must be time to fertilize then.

What do you guys use for fertilizer?

Dascountry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
With all the sand I have here we add all kinds of dirts and manures. As a matter of fact we have a large pile of swamp dirt to add this fall.

I've been outside tonight picking wild black berries. Been doing pretty good to for free...2&1/2 qt freeaer bags full already :)

AdamBorzy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
swampducks said:
HI and welcome. :frow Post anywhere, no real hard and fast rules, just be nice to others. Queensland is very far away from Michigan, must be chilly there this time of year?
Nope, almost warm and sunny everyday, and have the most sublime winter weather.
Thanks swampducks. I'll go ahead and look around. :)

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
AdamBorzy said:
swampducks said:
Nope, almost warm and sunny everyday, and have the most sublime winter weather.
Thanks swampducks. I'll go ahead and look around. :)
Ah, Queensland must be in the north, like Florida is in the south. I've escaped to Florida in the winter, much warmer and not as stifling hot and humid as it gets in the summer. Always wanted to visit your country, seems I'm pretty much stuck in the old USA though I have popped into Canada once or twice. Can't say it's the same though. :p

Dascountry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:caf I see it's been awhile since anyone has been on here.....

Garden is still doing good :) The pumpkins are turning orange already :ep Seems to be quite a bit early to me....

I have zucchini enough now to feed a small army it seems. Been giving it to anyone who comes over if they want it or not :hide

Sure could use some rain :watering

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We finally got a bit more rain up here, a bit less than a quarter inch if I can judge by the coffee can I left outside. It's got a lumpy interior so it may be more like an 1/8th. I'm hoping for more. I guess the lower half of the state got a nice dumping. Lucky stiffs.

I still only have one pumpkin, it's about 4 inches in diameter now. I'm getting some zucchini that I've been sauteing in oil and garlic. Very tasty. We've eaten about 5 cherry tomatoes, the ones I probably mentioned the other day. Finally got a red one ripe enough to eat but it doesn't go far for 2 people. It's been a pretty disappointing growing season for me. even my beans are failing early. I picked about 20 yesterday out of about 200 plants, and they don't seem to have more flowers like they did last year. :hu

Bobbiee

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Went to garden yesterday bout four pm. Kinda dry, supposed to be irrigated, but sometimes the sprinklers get goofed up. Bryan, son and a friend of his picked green beans, tomatoes, Kohlrabbi, radishes, swiss chard, summer straight and crooked neck squash, zuccinni, and twisted a cabbage so it does not split. Corn is still a few days off. Pumpkins up to a foot in diameter. Harvested 6 sweet baby watermellons from 4 plants. Pulled vines. Can't find the cantaulope cause the pumpkins are smothering them. The roma tomatoes are abundant on the vines but Iplanted too close together, so vines are crowdedand I'm skeered of disease messing them up. think I should trim some stems and leaves off? They are also showing some blossom end rot. Planted some Italian tomatoe seeds at the time I set the other transplants. They are now flowering and have a few small fruits. That was a little experiment to see if fruit would mature before frost. It did in previous years on volunteers in other gardens. Gotta start putting- up some bounty from the garden.

Latest posts