Midwest drought

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad you did. Fort Wayne did, east of Fort Wayne did, farmers fields.......that's a big NO.......

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think Smiles and everyone else in this area got rain except for us. I swear, at one point we were SURROUNDED by rain, but of course it didn't rain here. :he

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We finally got an inch of rain here but the wind was pretty bad, the plants aren't the same shape they were yesterday. :/ I've been watering my small garden so it didn't matter much except that now the lawn will get a bit greener for a week.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
So glad someone got rain! Nothing here. Raiins expected, but look to be going all around AGAIN! We have to get out and water or there will be no garden. :(

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dave2000 said:
We finally got an inch of rain here but the wind was pretty bad, the plants aren't the same shape they were yesterday. :/ I've been watering my small garden so it didn't matter much except that now the lawn will get a bit greener for a week.
Hey Dave, did they find those two kayakers in the Whitewater River yet?

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Smiles said:
Dave2000 said:
Hey Dave, did they find those two kayakers in the Whitewater River yet?
Didn't know there were any missing, don't watch much TV. I do recall they found the body of a 15 yo girl who disappeared around 10 days ago.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We get some Cincinnati TV stations on our satellite system and I saw last night that all were safe after the big storm. It was canoes and kayaks on the Whitewater river from Brookville, IN to Harrison, OH. The folks in the boats were fine but the rescuers and families were in a panic. All's well that ends well.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Keep praying for rain. Yesterday, after 2 day's forecast and NOTHIN', I had given up. My DD came in my (air-conditioned) bedroom last night at about 10:30 PM to announce the downpour. I had to get up and witness this. We got about 3/4", according to the "pot rain gauges" that I'd left out.
It will take just ONE good hurricane to break this wretched dry high pressure ridge to open up for a Southeasterly jet stream to pull up moisture from the gulf. (I'm an amateur weather nerd.)
We're hanging on. The crops are in fairly good condition here, including mine. I have a raised bed project that I'm going to try in a few weeks, when I send the rest of the family on vacation to CO. I plan to dig out about 8 inches of soil in two of my 3 x 12 raised beds, lay down cheap plastic garbage bags, slit open and spread out, then replace the dirt, plant, and daily water. My soil is highly mulched, but the baking is drying it out anyway. :he I'd like to have a decent beet crop and cabbage/brussel sprouts crop for the fall, and I'm afraid that won't happen if I don't try this. I'll document and let you know if it works.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, it finally rained!! Like you ducks, I stood and watched it for a good 15 minutes! What a sight. Of course, we had thunder and lightening as well- but the rain was a beautiful sight! I haven't been out to look at the garden yet, but I can see that the grass on the side yard, is actually greener...will lawn mowing be in my future?? I pray this rain will be enough to get the corn going again, for our farmers around here.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ducks and Lesa, RAIN, blessed rain. So wonderful for you. Still waiting and praying here. :fl
Ducks, if you are as hot there as we are, take it very easy doing the hard work of moving that much dirt, even with farm equipment. Don't want you getting overheated. :coolsun

Latest posts