Midwest drought

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
You did a good job with that plant, Dave :).

Are you folks in the rest of the US .

. . getting any relief from the drought?

Steve
It thrives despite my best efforts to kill it. ;)

Our relief was short lived, the lawn greened up a little but my okra are already drooping again despite being watered with a hose yesterday.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No Steve, no luck here. We did get some rain last week and a short shower a few days ago. But it's a case of too little, too late. Our yard is still like Rice Crispies. I have recorded our rain gauge and we (my area of the county) has received 1.2" of rain since May 17th. There are some local areas that have received as much as 4.5" since May. I always go to my little orchard and dig into the soil at the drip lines to get a feel of how much moisture is in the ground. Yesterday at 1 1/2" depth the soil was powder. Just about all of my apples have fallen to the ground.

The super high temperatures have eased a bit (today's high was only 96F) and we have had a few cool nights. The only thing hanging on in my garden is the tomato plants. And I think it's because I hauled a few livestock watering troughs out there on a hay wagon and siphoned water to the tomatoes 3 times over the past 8 weeks.

I look forward to next year.

Latest posts