Midwest drought

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Those are cool maps, Steve. I was looking at the maps for the dust bowl years and it seems that only a small portion of our country was hard hit by drought year after year. Interesting. Wow! Look at 1934.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
SO glad you got some. We got nuthin last night EVEN with teasers like this~

July27Pictures2012006.jpg

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
After weeks of having storms pass either to the north or south, finally a couple inches of rain but along with that enough wind to turn over 3 tractor trailers nearby and snap off two of my tomato stakes at ground level. It's amazing how heavy a healthy tomato plant full of fruit is.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
It seems like it doesn't just "rain" anymore. It storms, blows, lightenings, thunders, hails, tornadoes, floods. Not just rain. There has to be destruction and ruination involved. I realize a lot of it is because it's hot, but what ever happened to soft summer rains? Is this the way of the future?

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dave 2000 - we got a little of that storm this afternoon. It really looked bad as it left our area headed east toward Ohio. We got about 1/2" in ten minutes. I also had some tomato plants laying on the ground.

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I got lucky, both tomatoes seem to have survived and I only lost about 20 grape tomatoes falling off before ripe. This guy (pepper plant) fell over in the wind 3 times despite having cinder blocks around the base of the pot to support it. Now it has ground stakes and rope tied to the top of the stake in the pot to (hopefully) keep it from falling next time.

watered.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You did a good job with that plant, Dave :).

Are you folks in the rest of the US .

. . getting any relief from the drought?

Steve

Latest posts