Midwest drought

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Thanks, I WILL! DH, and 2 DD's are going on vacation for 8 days, starting August 4th. Me and the dogs will be up at 5 am, and do our outside work early, then siesta in the middle of the day, THEN clean in the AC through the afternoons. I've got a long list, but I plan to pace myself. I truly believe we will break this drought in a few weeks. :fl

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan, Ducks! My Dh is away on vacation right now. I am sure I don't understand it- but I get mountains of work done, when he is gone?? He won't recognize the place when he gets back! I even vacuumed the basement!!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are in a terrible drought in Mattapoisett, Massachusetts. It is the south coast of the state and we are 20 minutes from Cape Cod. We had 2 drenching thunderstorms today. It was a good supplement to my watering. Sometimes we get enough rain in this manor while the rest of the state suffers. Not so lucky this year. In spring I sang Rain, rain, go away, with my grandsons when it spoiled our outdoor fun. We were jumping for joy with the downpours today. though, they did initially cry when we had to go in. Rain didn't last long, so we had more play time.

hiker125

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
yeah for you! It is raining here too, a nice gentle rain. The sound of the thunder is so soothing. I hope everyone gets a good soaking.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We had a very short rain a week or so ago and it was the first rain since May 17th. There have been storms all around us for several days but not one of the storms has dumped any rain on us. Whenever storms are in the area I go out and try to see if they will come our way. It is so sad to see the storms drift away from us and leave our fields dry as a bone. We now have a watering ban and we have had a burn ban for many weeks in our neck of Indiana.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smiles said:
We had a very short rain a week or so ago and it was the first rain since May 17th. There have been storms all around us for several days but not one of the storms has dumped any rain on us. Whenever storms are in the area I go out and try to see if they will come our way. It is so sad to see the storms drift away from us and leave our fields dry as a bone. We now have a watering ban and we have had a burn ban for many weeks in our neck of Indiana.
U didn't get rain last weekend or yesterday. We did. May have helped corn and saved beans

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
U didn't get rain last weekend or yesterday. We did. May have helped corn and saved beans
No we didn't get a drop. There were big storms all around us but not on top of us. In times like this it's a sinking feeling to see the storm clouds drift away.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry you have a watering ban in place now, too. :hugs Hope you got some good stuff out of your garden already. If I couldn't water, mine would have been dead quite a while ago. This is just so sad and discouraging.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I live in fear of a watering ban- it cannot be far off...They are predicting scattered thunder showers for the next few days, so we will see. The other day when we had our rain, a town about 15 minutes away got huge hail. Looked golf ball sized. That would wipe out a garden pretty quick...Wishing for gently showers for all who need them...

Latest posts