Millennials

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wasn't expected to do anything while growing up except get good grades. I did. When I moved out into the great wide world, got a job, and started finding my own way, life was a big shock. I learned how to iron off of youtube. Learned how to garden from here. Learned how to groom from my current shop. I do work very hard, and I've been rewarded for it, but I sure could have used a few years of chores so all of it wasn't such a shock!

My son is only 3 years old and already knows how to vacuum, wash dishes, clean his room, and take care of the chickens. He loves doing it all and helping mom, and I'm glad to know he won't die of starvation when he moves out because he doesn't know the Secrets of the Can Opener. (At least he's a righty. That makes it lots easier.)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Clip 2.JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I effectively stopped using cursive while taking notes in college. Even in high school, I was turning in typewritten papers from the old Underwood.

I remember wishing I knew shorthand by the time I was taking notes in college but those notes certainly didn't look like something from penmanship :). They never did and I would need to concentrate to write cursive at anytime since. 50+ years of bad habits since I laid digitS' on a keyboard.

A concern is the same as with any substantial change in written English, that young people may cut themselves off from original material. With the continuing revision of history by each generation, it may not be the most serious problem.

Steve

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm one of those millennials that finished learning cursive before they stopped teaching it. I do use it often and prefer using cursive over regular print. I would use it all of the time, but I get bad hand-cramps and shaky hands shortly after I start writing, it makes my writing hard to read. I don't know where that shakiness and the hand-cramps come from, but I prefer to stick with typing whenever possible. I'll usually hand-write it if I'm sending a letter.

As for some of this generation, I can't say that I know exactly what's going on with them. They've been given a choice of what to do with their lives. Their parents aren't quite qualified for their jobs and won't force their kids out once they reach that age. The problem is that some of us don't want to do anything with our lives and would rather live in their parents basement and play computer games. (I'm probably repeating something mentioned earlier in this thread, aren't I?) My uncle (gen X) is actually one of those 40-yr-old "kids" that still live with their parents and is likely still living in my grandma's basement to this day. So it's not completely confined to this generation.

Out of curiosity - does anybody know who started naming the generations and who came up with the names? I'm wondering how far back this goes - did Benjamin Franklin generation have it's own name?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that people of Ben Franklin's time might only have known a generation name if they were Chinese or some other society.

I could be wrong. Franklin was a person with a lot of ideas and might have looked around there in Independence Hall and been able to name a few generations.

A desire to step beyond the past while others are trying to come to an understanding of the new, must go into the naming of generations.

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm one of those millennials that finished learning cursive before they stopped teaching it. I do use it often and prefer using cursive over regular print. I would use it all of the time, but I get bad hand-cramps and shaky hands shortly after I start writing, it makes my writing hard to read. I don't know where that shakiness and the hand-cramps come from, but I prefer to stick with typing whenever possible. I'll usually hand-write it if I'm sending a letter.

As for some of this generation, I can't say that I know exactly what's going on with them. They've been given a choice of what to do with their lives. Their parents aren't quite qualified for their jobs and won't force their kids out once they reach that age. The problem is that some of us don't want to do anything with our lives and would rather live in their parents basement and play computer games. (I'm probably repeating something mentioned earlier in this thread, aren't I?) My uncle (gen X) is actually one of those 40-yr-old "kids" that still live with their parents and is likely still living in my grandma's basement to this day. So it's not completely confined to this generation.

Out of curiosity - does anybody know who started naming the generations and who came up with the names? I'm wondering how far back this goes - did Benjamin Franklin generation have it's own name?
Look up carpal tunnel syndrome ! :ep

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
DW and I were having a discussion about generations just this morning. As a result I have a question . . .

How many years is considered one generation?

When we consider family generations it is usually when one gives birth to her first child. Momma is one generation and the child is the beginning of another generation.

But when we are generalizing and speaking in broad terms as in history lessons, we often group a birth group in a few years and call it a generation.

How many years is that?

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
In general, my wife & I think of a generation being about 25 years. In earlier periods of history it was closer to 20 years (when people had children at an earlier age & life expectancies were shorter).

Last edited: