Millennials

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Look up carpal tunnel syndrome ! :ep

Hmm, not sure whether or not that is it. No numbness or intense pain. The pain that I mentioned is more like a sore tightening of the muscles. I've had writing problems for a good part of my life and my hands don't look like the "untreated carpal tunnel syndrome" picture on the wiki page. Something else to mention to the doctor during my next check-up.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
What @w_r_ranch said. When used to describe age groupings of people, a generation is generally considered to be about 20 years. Of course there are other ways the word is used, as in second generation Asian-American. The "Greatest Generation" describes WWII veterans with a wider age span than 20 years.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm a member of Generation X. It's interesting looking at things from my perspective.

I think the pendulum has swung a little too far in the "it's really about you" direction. Too many English majors, too many philosophy majors, too many people "trying to find themselves", and expecting to do what they love, what their passion is, and get paid billions of dollars to do it.

My Dad used to tell us, "I don't care what you do, just be sure you can support yourself, your family if you have one". Its a simple as that. Too many unrealistic people out there.

This whole concept of "work your passion" or "do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life" is all fine and dandy if you have serious financial backing to support your efforts.

My BIL's GF is like that. She graduated in 2012, doesn't seem to have much of a plan. Moved back home applied for a few local jobs and not getting them has made her decide to go back and get her masters. She took the entrance exam but haven't heard much beyond that. She'll rack up more bills in student loans and who knows what she'll do.

She's talked about wanting to work for the Forestry service, or DNR but she really hasn't done anything other than graduate with her bachelors. She decided not to take a paid internship in Alaska (which at her age I would have killed for) after being accepted and at that point we realized she's adrift. It's his relationship not mine so....

Not enough emphasis on trade skills, and not enough people willing to accept the fact that something's are a hobby even if you are very passionate about them. You may love Shakespeare, but can you put good in your belly and a roof over your head with a love of Shakespeare?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well said @Jared77 Very well said.
I told my daughter she had choices.
1. Get a job she loved and made lots of money at. (good luck on this one)
2. Get a job she hated but made lots of money, so she could do the things she loved on the weekends.
3. Get a job she loved, made little money and have to live on a tight budget.
4. Get a job she loved and actually made decent money at.

I also told her she would more than likely work all her life. She could flip burgers for a 40 hour week or get an education and work the same 40 hours for a lot more money-her choice.

She graduated with a Bachelor's at 19, had 2 Masters at 22 and is now a Professor at a junior college. She has a job she loves, makes decent money and has time off for family time.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well said @Jared77 Very well said.
I told my daughter she had choices.
1. Get a job she loved and made lots of money at. (good luck on this one)
2. Get a job she hated but made lots of money, so she could do the things she loved on the weekends.
3. Get a job she loved, made little money and have to live on a tight budget.
4. Get a job she loved and actually made decent money at.

Come on, @baymule, no way someone like you would skip the most effective choice. I always read that it was just as easy to fall in love with a rich man as a poor man.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had to work at teaching art for thirty-four years to do what I really want. Don't get me wrong. I really did love teaching....well most days. There were always the days from hell. Now I make art, garden, hybridize daylilies....AND KISS BABIES!!!!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got paid to play today! I haven't 'guest' taught yet this year. First, I never teach before November 1 because I'm in the yard and gardens. Then I haven't accepted any work because I've been worried about DH. Yesterday I was called to work for the afternoon only. Yes!

Great students! Great day! I had fun. Times like today make we wonder how I could ever have left teaching. Coming home made me remember how wonderful it is to have time for family.

Latest posts