Millennials

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like the best of both worlds, Red. The only jobs I had that I liked much were the ones that didn't pay enough to keep food on the table. I worked at jobs that were painful to go to every day: painful emotionally and physically. But they paid better. I hate that choices have to be made, but for many people, that is exactly what happens. Just depends on whether you would rather be happy or fed. I am so thankful I survived long enough to retire.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like the best of both worlds, Red. ....... Just depends on whether you would rather be happy or fed. I am so thankful I survived long enough to retire.
I am blessed that I had a DH who worked hard at a job he didn't like for 34 years so that I could enjoy mine. If not for him, I don't think I could have afforded being a teacher. Of course, he's the one who MADE me go to school to get that teaching degree. Having DH retire 10 years before I did was never a problem for either of us. I never resented getting up and going to work while he stayed home. Of course he continued to work -- now it was around the property.

I am blessed that we now have 'enough'. Neither of us needed or wanted a lot of money or things. To have a comfortable 'enough' after all these years is good. For us, work was never a four letter word. It was something that needed doing so it was done. That's life. Even so, there were many weeks of peanut butter sandwiches for our main meal when we first were getting started.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought a little while about putting this on the Word of the Year thread but this seems a better place.

The young lady's prospects look good to me (as long as she doesn't have too much trouble with her back :\). She's doing what she needs to do and probably doing well for the time being ... it's going to take killer work to get that PhD, however.

My DD worked at a community college for awhile. She said that she had a future there ... but didn't want to pursue it ... ah, but that is from another article I was just reading on the same subject. This one, isn't quite so sad:

Your waitress: your professor

Oh, and if the author is in the group of young ladies on her Facebook page, she's definitely a 20-something :).

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found the statement at the end of her article summed it up well'

"If my students can imagine the possibility that choosing to work with their hands does not automatically exclude them from being people who critically examine the world around them, I will feel I’ve done something worthwhile, not only for those who will earn their degree, but for the majority who will not."

My husband has a degree but works outside of the parameters of a job that his degree would ordinarily place him in. He works in the construction field. With his hands and back. He's always been a learner, in his area of most intense interest, and continues studying on his own. It's been a lifetime pursuit for him.

To me a degree is not an indication of someones worth to humanity.
It's something, to be sure. It may mean you are qualified to do a certain thing, but not necessarily.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a professor who went to school on the GI Bill. He said that it wouldn't have been possible, otherwise.

He wasn't the only teacher who said the very same thing but it was what he also said that was interesting. He claimed that a PhD was a license to move to a higher status but he didn't know the rules :).

Initially, he taught in a capital city. As a social scientist, his opinions were solicited by the ruling elite. Invited to their homes, he didn't know how to behave.

It worked out okay for him because he discovered that as a poor kid, the rules he lived by were far more restrictive than those of his hosts.

Steve

Latest posts