Mints

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Several years ago I planted wintergreen mint from seed. I'll never do that again. It took forever for them to sprout then it took over the entire pot and somehow managed to get in the pot with my peppers. Most nurseries and the big box stores have different kinds of mint. I bought a chocolate mint in January and it smells so good. It also went great in cupcakes! Good luck on your project!

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
A neighbor has some mint growing wild in his blueberries. Its actually choking out the BB.

I can pick some...what do I do with it? Hey! The deer aren't eating it either!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm very much of a newbie :rolleyes: can you upload pictures from an ipad?

MC
MC, I believe anything that both connects to the internet and holds pictures can upload to TEG.

Start by clicking "Upload a File" below the comment box. It will ask you choose where to look. That depends on your device and where you stored that picture. You find it and click it!
the-tale-of-peter-rabbit.jpg
Then, after the time required for the upload, it will appear and you can choose again: full image or thumbnail.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Be careful with mint. I don't mind pulling where I've planted, but most people prefer to pot it bc it spreads. Personally I don't think it's as invasive as other plants, like bindweed or violets. You can't seem to win with those, but I can do a minimum of weeding and keep my mint where I want it. I also mow it and spread it in my vegetable beds for mulch in the summer. If I am not careful to make sure it hasn't gone to seed, it has seeded itself there, but it took very little effort to remove it from those beds, too.
Don't mess with the seeds. You can find mint anywhere this time of year and it's cheap. If you want spearmint or peppermint, you can often buy it as an herb at your grocery store, which is what I did to fill in a dry area right behind the N-NW corner of the house where it was impossible to mow and full of weeds. NOW, it's full of mint.
I also have an enlarging spot of chocolate mint. Very fragrant and nice in a drink.

Mary Catherine Williamson

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Would chocolate mint survive if a planted it next to the chicken run? I have clay soil so I'm not sure if it will spread well........

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure why ducks4you said not to plant near the chicken yard; maybe it will take over the yard? Pretty sure chickens won't eat it, and if they did, it would not hurt them.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am using Epsom salt in my garden this year. It is supposed to be great with tomatoes and peppers as well as onion. It improves flavor and helps them to green up.

Latest posts