Mints

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't plant mint next to the run. Chickens scratch dirt and poo all over the place ani it would probably land on your mint. Mine threw poo-dirt about two feet all around the run.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wouldn't plant mint next to the run. Chickens scratch dirt and poo all over the place ani it would probably land on your mint. Mine threw poo-dirt about two feet all around the run.
Mint is also in the same family with oregano. I used to have free range chickens that kept my oregano mow off. I used to joke that I was pre-seasoning my eggs, They might mow any herbs they can reach blear off.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I use it to fill in areas where it's either the mint or the weeds that like to put down deep roots. The mint, though it spreads, can be pulled out. I KNOW that folks here will tell you that you cannot get rid of it. I have had mint on my property for 15 years. I bought spearmint and peppermint, and put them on the west side of the house which was impossible to mow and sprouting weeds. It has effectively kept most weeds out of the bed. I mow it before it goes to seed with a bag mower and mulch my beds with it. I have also bought and planted chocolate mint and pineapple mint. The pineapple mint didn't take, but I've replanted the chocolate mint in another flower bed. I just pull it when it's too thick. Since I don't have an acre of it, it isn't overpowering. Once you plant it you won't have to replant it. It does very well in hard, clay soils. Keep it out of your vegetable beds if you have amended them. There, mint will really spread fast.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our single plant of chocolate mint took over a huge flower bed and is now spreading to the lawn, in just two years. I love the way it smells and all, but it choked out a row of mums and is now heading towards our clematis vines.

We are currently trying to rid ourselves of the chocolate mint. :hide

Nenebynature

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have mint out by my barn. I have it growing all along one sided can't take credit for the original planting of it but I have added several more varieties where the weeds too over. I would never have a home without mint growing somewhere. I love it so much. I have planted some around my chicken run. I like to clip it and add it to my nesting boxes. I am hoping it will take over the perimeter so I don't have to weed eat.

Chocolate mint is my absolute favorite. I love to put a few sprigs in hot water for tea.

I agree with the other posters. Don't waste your time growing it from seed. It is so easy to get from neighbors or friends. Also this time of year it will be clearanced at nurseries. Even if the plant looks terrible, as long as the roots are healthy, it will take off when planted in soil.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I lost the chocolete mint. I liked it always tore off a sprig to nibble when outside.
Do any of your neighbors have any? If not, you may have to wait until next Spring, when the better garden centers will again carry every flavor of mint. That's where I found mine.
Regarding mint taking over your lawn? ...hmmmmaybe your need to feed your lawn? :hu Healthy grass can usually fight off a lot of intruders. NOT judging!!! :hide Also wait until a soaking rain and yank the mint out!!! I have had to do that in a couple of my vegetable beds and none exist there now, just purslane...don't know where they came from! I don't have ANY of my mints in my lawn. I have them fenced in in only one bed, otherwise they are not regulated and they behave themselves.

Latest posts