Monsanto - the planet killer is at it again.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The hybrid corn seeds Monsanto has donated to Haiti are treated with the fungicide Maxim XO, and the calypso tomato seeds are treated with thiram.3 Thiram belongs to a highly toxic class of chemicals called ethylene bisdithiocarbamates (EBDCs). Results of tests of EBDCs on mice and rats caused concern to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), which then ordered a special review. The EPA determined that EBDC-treated plants are so dangerous to agricultural workers that they must wear special protective clothing when handling them.
This was in their article, so I guess Wifezilla found the correct information.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
The MPP has committed to burning Monsanto's seeds, and has called for a march to protest the corporation's presence in Haiti on June 4, for World Environment Day
I guess on 6/4 we'll know the answer.

http://www.monsantoblog.com/2010/05/20/five-answers-monsanto-haiti/

interesting that Haiti is already using the chemicals some of you are worried about. All varieties given are already being used in Haiti. Ignore M's spin in article but notice Haitian quotes.

Again, doesn't make M a good or bad company but that it is a good deed as far as the Haitian gov/people are concerned.

dragonlaurel

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
This is about the Haiti aid package that will be voted on.
https://secure.ajws.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=481
I didn't use their form letter, but still wanted my politicians to think things through. Giving GMO or hybrid seed would end up causing the farmers to be even worse off in the long run. They need to be able to save seed year to year, so they have a reliable supply of cheap or free seed stock.
Farmers that can't make a living eventually give up, then the country cant make enough food for itself.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have to admit this quote is one step aside from the actual subject of this tread but it is enlightening re double-standards.
I found it amongst the long list of replies below the article Ladyhawke posted, ie.

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2010/05/20-1

QUOTE:-

"Bliss Doubt May 20th, 2010 7:24 pm

This story came out in Ode Magazine in the year 2000. I believe that Granada Food Services has been fired but I'm not sure. In any case, when you click links to this story, you mostly get the response "File not found: /Monsanto/moncafeteria.cfm" As usual Monsanto probably just threatened to sue.

Anyway, story begin:

Monsanto Goes GMO-Free - in its Cafeteria

UNITED KINGDOM. From now on, staff at the British headquarters of biotech giant Monsanto will be eating only non-genetically modified products on their lunch breaks. Foods containing genetically modified soy and corn are no longer available in the company cafeteria. Granada Food Services, which manages the canteen, is said to be concerned about health risks. Monsanto's press department contends the action was not the result of a boycott initiated by worried employees of the U.S. multinational."

END OF QUOTE.

Ironical, I think.......!!

Hattie

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
This is about the Haiti aid package that will be voted on.
https://secure.ajws.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=481
I didn't use their form letter, but still wanted my politicians to think things through. Giving GMO or hybrid seed would end up causing the farmers to be even worse off in the long run. They need to be able to save seed year to year, so they have a reliable supply of cheap or free seed stock.
Farmers that can't make a living eventually give up, then the country cant make enough food for itself.
So instead of sending food, we let them starve? If I'm hungry, send food not a handbook on how to do it. You just don't make food, like building a birdhouse--unless you are starting from scratch and planting a tree for the lumber.

Hattie, M is sending non-GMO as government asked. Once again, the article you quoted shouts that the consumer will get what he is willing to pay for. Consumer is in control. If he wants the cheapest products, that's what he will get. If he wants expensive "non-hybrid, non-chemical, non-fertilizer" grain, he will get it......but he must pay the bill. Corn will not even sniff $3/bu if we go to that program--try $10/bu.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is in my DNA, and there is nothing I can do about it. They say you teach most that which you most need to learn.

All that we desire for ourselves, all that is good and right, that which keeps us safe, fed, clothed and sheltered.things that make this life a possibility .how can we as part of this world and stand by and let these things be denied to others. What happens when these possibilities for life on this planet are in jeopardy? But... hey, it is happening way over there and to someone else.

We have learned that the world is finite. What we allow to happen to someone else can be part of a chain reaction, and like a gigantic whirlpool, it can drag us all under. These technologies are not static. By their very nature, they do not stay in one place. Look at the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. With this one, and may god have mercy on us, we are not being told everything. Just because this disaster is at-sea, farmers and others who grow their own food are not home free.

Greed and only greed fuel these reckless technologies. It is expediency and profit at the expense of all of us. In this world, I am little and insignificant. However, I will always try to choose to do what I think is right. If and I say if there is a judgment day, when I depart this planet, I want to be at peace with my soul. I cannot just stand by, be quite, and let these things happen just so someone can make a profit.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think we are no longer trying to send 'food' to feed the people of disaster. We're trying to set them up a plan for reconstruction. They had lousy life's to start with, never had enough food and the farms were pretty broke. I can't help but see the obvious reign of terror that will come down on this country if farmers have to pay for seed next year or the next.

Hattie, I see that is a fabulous quote. I'm sure there was a threat of suit, that's what they do... they sue. :/

Honestly, I would love to hear from some farmers who've been roped into signing contacts with contengicies that are going to put them into broke. Does anyone have any links to any articles with complaints or facts giving from 'business' associates of M's? Though I highly doubt they speak up.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
love to hear from some farmers
If this is true, go talk to them. IF you go in spirit of learning, they will be happy to share. IF you go in spirit of telling them how to run their business, be ready to be rebuffed.

What you will find, love the technology, hate paying for it.

As I planted a plot yesterday, I asked the farmer if he remembered open pollinated. He laughed, said his dad went to hybrid seed as fast as he could. In days of open pollinated, average yields were 40-60 bu/acre and you could never count on a yield at all if stresses were applied. We are now trying to find some open pollinated seed to put in plots besides todays just for a reminder of what we've done in terms of production.

Latest posts