More dogs

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not often. There is seldom a problem as most horse people don't keep studs and, if they do, not where they are a problem to the mares. Mares in heat are not much different than any other day.

PMS doesn't seem to be a problem for horses or cows. Cats in heat are a totally different animal.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not to hijack but do mares get spayed? How often do they come in heat?
Yes, mares can be spayed but it requires surgery on both sides of the mare. In most cases the surgery costs more than the mare is worth especially when the mare is of low quality ,or questionable breeding like out of Pasture by Mistake or out of Arizona by Truck. While gelding a colt/ stallion costs between $100 - $200 by a Veterinarian. In very poor areas or poorer countries the owner gelds their own. About every 3 weeks during breeding season.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I can't possibly begin to comprehend why we would import dogs from S. Korea, It's insane.

I've never understood why people here have problems with eating dogs and cats - they make as good of a meat as any other animal. Are we really that clingy (right word?) I do have to say that I've got a little bit of a... predisposition here though - I go to a Korean church and have many friends there that are Korean, and they're some of the nicest people that I've ever met. They've eaten dogs before I'm sure.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not to hijack but do mares get spayed? How often do they come in heat?
I have heard of spayed mares but don't think it is too common. There are very few stallions left intact unless it is kept for breeding. The males are often gelded. They are the best ride. So it there is no man around.....I think the come into heat twice a year.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't possibly begin to comprehend why we would import dogs from S. Korea, It's insane.

I've never understood why people here have problems with eating dogs and cats - they make as good of a meat as any other animal. Are we really that clingy (right word?) I do have to say that I've got a little bit of a... predisposition here though - I go to a Korean church and have many friends there that are Korean, and they're some of the nicest people that I've ever met. They've eaten dogs before I'm sure.

We have humanized animals in this country to the degree that we equate them with children, so even mentioning eating dogs to most of the people here and they will call you a monster. Many have even told me they'd rather see humans killed than their own dogs, so they don't care if children are starving, they feel they should never eat dogs or cats.

To me, if we have an overage of a certain animal and there is a market for that animal in another country, we should be exporting that overage to the areas where people can actually utilize them. It would relieve the burden on our country, while providing an abundance in another....it's a win/win.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Exporting our surplus of dogs would get rid of the problem almost instantly. It would help to improve our reputation with other countries in the meantime as well - In a minimal way, but I think that we could use that right now.

We could always try opening up hardcore foodies to dog meat - not too long ago eating alpaca meat was nearly unthinkable, now there's actually some sort of market for it.

I think that humanizing animals would be a good way of putting it - it's the same with horses, donkeys, and even livestock animals. I know a lot of people who are perfectly fine with picking up packaged and cut meat from the grocery store but would have a panic attack or throw an absolute fit if they saw somebody with an ax over a chicken's neck. Some of them don't even know where the meat comes from - "huh, wonder what a pork tree looks like?" (Watch, now that I said that - somebody's going to pipe up and prove that it's an actual tree. ;) Maybe it's related to the Cork Tree?)

Many have even told me they'd rather see humans killed than their own dogs, so they don't care if children are starving, they feel they should never eat dogs or cats.
Makes me wonder if, in the future, we'll be worshiping cats (and dogs to) just like the ancient Egyptians used to.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If we started butchering dogs, cats, etc, it would cause the USDA to get involved along with PETA and who knows else? No thank you.

Latest posts