More dogs

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pork tree? Haha! It's possible ..... how many people would swear off eggs forever if they knew eggs plop out of a chicken's butt? The Easter Bunny brings them, right?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
What? The Easter bunny doesn't??????? There goes my holiday. Thanks Bay! :confused:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I spent a year in Korea in the Army and I ate dog down in the village. It was pretty good. Cat was supposedly more of a delicacy but I never tried it as far as I know. Never had the opportunity.

I'm not sure we would be able to profitably ship our excess pet population for meat. Like Seed said the USDA would get involved because the country we are shipping meat to will have certain requirements or any meat to be imported. We'd have to show that we are not shipping diseased meat, just like we have to with chicken or beef. The logistics and costs of doing that could make shipping strays from the pound problematic. Americans are pretty good at turning a profit. I'd expect if that kind of market was developed we'd have dog or cat farms where the animals are specially bred and raised for meat export, not that we would be shipping our strays.

I'm a strong believer in the benefits of spaying our pets to keep the population down. I'm not sure that neutering has the benefits of spaying but I imagine there are some benefits. It only takes one unneutered male to breed many unsprayed females and its hard to get every male out there.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just how many years has the humane society and rescue groups preach to spay and neuter our dogs and cats and play a key role in passing laws to have a local license to breed dogs and cats not to mention the limits placed on number of dogs or cats owned in a household ? How many local pounds have been closed down and now operated by the humane society and rescue groups that are always spayed or neutered ? Why are their facilities so overflowing due to some areas not being able to place the overflow and have to ship them elsewhere such as the PNW therefore increasing costs and less money available for feed and care ? If their operation is failing in this country what is their need to import dogs to the US. ? This being the case , why is the humane society put their nose into other country's customs and business and impose their own values on them ? :idunno Oh... since seedo mentioned horses, yes, I have eaten horse meat in Europe. I have eaten all of the farm livestock, as well as wild game animals too. Mission San Louis Rey in Cal. has donkey bbq. and before we met, my wife and parents as well as local and visitor attendees ate this fare .

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's not a case of something like spaying magically solving all the problems anywhere. I cringe anytime I hear someone, a politician or somebody from the company I once worked for, say we'll make sure this can never happen again. That's ridiculous. That's impossible. Of course it can happen again. You're dealing with people. In my opinion, the goal should be to stop one school shooting, not every possible school shooting in the future forever. You should stop one major fire or pollution event. You cannot solve world hunger everywhere at once, but you can help out one family that needs the help, however you decide to do that. If you spay one dog or cat, that dog or cat will not contribute to the overbreeding of those animals. You will have contributed to the solution.

Bob, I'm not talking about you, I'm just ranting. Don't take it personal;. I see letters to the editor and hear people al the time on TV say things like "Doing this will not totally absolutely solve the problem so I'm not going to do anything." Yes, cows are going to fart and belch and be a major contributor to greenhouse gasses. So what. By reducing emissions somewhere else you are not making the problem even worse. We as a country cannot solve the emissions problem because other countries are contributing too. But if we are an exceptional nation, shouldn't we lead by example instead of saying "Do as I say, not as I do".

End of rant. I'm going to go see if the ground is dry enough to get some potatoes in the ground.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found it simply stupid with a capital S that the group brought in MORE Korean dogs. For goodness sake. Its a profit center set up just for that. I've traveled one time as an adult - to Thailand. There were thousands of dogs loose all over. Thousands - with puppies and dogs dead in gutters. (and child prostitution) so I'll never go back.

But I didn't desire to rescue all of them - I recognized that this was the Thai culture. As should American's who clamor to save them all.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
The humane society uses other arm twisting methods other than paying for what they acquire, ( like seize / rescue from the so called " puppy mills " and / or so called abusers ) here in the USA . Then they advertise on the willing media , as a news event , to tug on the rest of our heartstrings to pay for the transportation to the US . Are they going back for more ... does one need to ask ? Just how much does it cost to transport these " rescued dogs " to the US ? What better excuse to shake one down more even more money to " adopt " these dogs. It is an absolute gold mine of a cash cow for them.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Pork tree? Haha! It's possible ..... how many people would swear off eggs forever if they knew eggs plop out of a chicken's butt? The Easter Bunny brings them, right?" [baymule]
As my spouse likes to say, "Never eats anything from a dog's mouth. Eat eggs." Not a good visual, but here's one of his that's worse. . .
"When you kiss, you're sucking on one end of a tube 25 feet long and half filled with _ _ _ _."

There, I've done my part to promote abstinence.