morning glory sprouts

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't tell yall how MANY times I've TRIED to grow morning glory!! :confused:
Planting it in pots - carefully tending what turned out to be ugly, naked vines that only produced a couple of bug damaged blooms...
I've tossed seeds along the driveway several times and have only managed to get one tiny vine that never gets more than 3-4', all tangled up in a small 2' bunch that produces maybe 10 pretty purple little blooms down in the ditch. Blink and you'll miss it.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Really? Man they go bonkers here. They self seed and will create a carpet of freshly germinated heart shaped leaves. Then its a drag race to the sky! They are super aggressive. Must be a Michigan thing. We do have a really nice micro climate with the Great Lakes protecting us. My neighbor has them self seed and germinate along her fence every year without fail. They look really pretty in bloom and from afar they are hard to hate.

Till they are climbing on things choking out your clematis, or going up a tree, or trampoline, or tomato cages and just making a nuisance of themselves. They are as tough and dandelions here and just as prolific.
Are we talking same plant ? I have to soak seeds 24 to germinate.
Morning glory stay in check here. also. However it does seem that when they seed themselves they revert to the wild bindweed. That is a horrific invasive barely attractive plant.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't tell yall how MANY times I've TRIED to grow morning glory!! :confused:
Planting it in pots - carefully tending what turned out to be ugly, naked vines that only produced a couple of bug damaged blooms...
I've tossed seeds along the driveway several times and have only managed to get one tiny vine that never gets more than 3-4', all tangled up in a small 2' bunch that produces maybe 10 pretty purple little blooms down in the ditch. Blink and you'll miss it.
I start them in pots also. They are very sensitive to heat burn when you first put them outdoors. They need a gentle hardening off to be successful. They also get that gold very attractive but hungry beetle.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
if you want full effect from glyphosate you should apply it to as many leaves as possible so that it gets absorbed and sent to the roots. grape vines have very extensive root systems as they get older... painting a little on a cut stem isn't going to have nearly the effect you might need (unless it is a very tiny plant, which at that case you can remove it by hand)...

If I do it I do it on anything I cut back. Its getting there. Part of it is just getting to it since its being protected by poison ivy. Its been a battle. Its a few wild bushes that are on the edge of the property and now that I have a minute I've been trying to handle this mess.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Morning glory stay in check here. also. However it does seem that when they seed themselves they revert to the wild bindweed. That is a horrific invasive barely attractive plant.

it is interesting how different people have such different experiences.

the purple flowering morning glories here have not ever come back from seed as anything other than what they've always been. no mutations noted yet.

@canesisters & @catjac1975 do you have a lot of sand in your soil? around here the places we've grown them in the past are either heavy clay or along the fence in a few spots and of course the gravel mulch. the heavy clay area will sprout new plants any time we've had enough rains. it's been years since we had plants there that were allowed to drop fresh seeds. i scrape them a few times a season and try to pull out any that make it to flowering stage. they can smother the veggies if i don't get them in time. i'm quite happy to use it as worm food... once they get going they seem to do ok in the hard baked clay, but i've not specifically tried to see what happens during a drought if i don't water them because they are pesky plants in the gardens/veggies and i don't have them growing other places that i let go dry. i remove them as soon as i can...

@canesisters how much light are they getting? i'll send you seeds if i can find some this season. i just ripped out some plants from one of the bean gardens, but i think i have a few in the squash patch that i can leave and harvest seeds from... they are purple.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks @flowerbug
They are in the narrow space between driveway and pasture fence. Full sun, PLENTY of water (ditch line drains the whole farm after every storm). The ditch and the fence make it difficult to mow so I keep hoping to fill the area with wild flowers and just let them do their thing. So far I have a several-year old little clump of morning glory, a 4 year old clump of cone flower that also isn't spreading, several wild day lilies that ARE S. L. O. W. L. Y. spreading, and LOTS of grasses...

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane along my stream some banks drop making impossible to mow. The banks are covered in pachysandra very few weeds can grow threw it. It is a great ground cover that is not invasive. I can spend you some if you dont know a local source

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Isn't that a shade plant? I'd love some, but almost all of the drive/ditch line is full sun. The only shade it gets if from the overhead power line.

Latest posts