morning glory sprouts

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
guess how many years i've been weeding this pathway several times a growing season?

p7240001_Morning_Glory_Sprouts_thm.jpg

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew up thinking of morning glory as a weed, not a pretty flower. There are a lot of plants out there that make pretty flowers that I don't want anywhere around me, Canada thistle to mention another. They are invasive which means they spread way too easily and are hard to get rid of. Yet I see morning glory seeds for sale and see posts on here about how much some of our members love their morning glories. Different strokes for different folks. I'm careful to not put any morning glory even close to flowering in my compost. I don't burn it like I do Canada thistle flowering parts but probably should.

It looks like some were allowed to go to seed in that area at sometime in history. All it takes is to miss one and let it go to seed. Birds are good about spreading the seed so one can pop up anywhere.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
My neighbor has blue morning glory and doesn't care to keep it in check. Though the flower is pretty it creeps into my bamboo and starts bringing it down. I need the bamboo upright to give us privacy. I hate the stuff! Morning glories that is. I'm always threatening that I'm going to straddle our 6ft. fence and pour roundup onto the other side! haha

Mary

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess it must have a lot to do with your climate/micro climate?
I have grown a lot of MG and never ever had problems with them reseeding or becoming a nuisance plant. :hu

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Really? Man they go bonkers here. They self seed and will create a carpet of freshly germinated heart shaped leaves. Then its a drag race to the sky! They are super aggressive. Must be a Michigan thing. We do have a really nice micro climate with the Great Lakes protecting us. My neighbor has them self seed and germinate along her fence every year without fail. They look really pretty in bloom and from afar they are hard to hate.

Till they are climbing on things choking out your clematis, or going up a tree, or trampoline, or tomato cages and just making a nuisance of themselves. They are as tough and dandelions here and just as prolific.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It may also have to do with WHAT KIND of Morning Glory you are working with. Mine were LITERALLY weeds (I got them by picking them out of bags of beans) and yet they NEVER came back after the first year. While I was diligent enough about collecting seed that I can be fairly sure I didn't lose any, the very nature of such seeds means there were probably ones in the original planting that didn't germinate the first time around (that's another thing that can make them weedy, MG seeds can hibernate a year or two). Maybe they were too tropical for the seed to take the winter (the bags were from China and the seed was Impomoea japonica).

On the other hand those seeds also yielded the plant I refer to as "grasp vine" (as I never figured out it's real one). THAT one went crazy. Every time I saw its distinctive leaves (hairy, more or less shaped like hands) I pulled like crazy* and it STILL took me five or so years to get rid of it.

*Except the time I let one go full cycle in hopes of being able to recognize the seed in the future. This is also when I discovered the plant makes no obvious flowers, just seed balls.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Really? Man they go bonkers here. They self seed and will create a carpet of freshly germinated heart shaped leaves. Then its a drag race to the sky! They are super aggressive. Must be a Michigan thing. We do have a really nice micro climate with the Great Lakes protecting us. My neighbor has them self seed and germinate along her fence every year without fail. They look really pretty in bloom and from afar they are hard to hate.

Till they are climbing on things choking out your clematis, or going up a tree, or trampoline, or tomato cages and just making a nuisance of themselves. They are as tough and dandelions here and just as prolific.
Totally agree with you Jared.

Mary

Latest posts