most unusual produce

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Kelly, how many years exactly did your pawpaws take?

I planted two trees in 2007, one of which grew OK, the other one got knocked down by the dogs but seemed to come back a bit last fall. The good one ("Wells") bloomed last year, but didn't have anything to cross-pollinate at the time since its partner ("Sunflower") wasn't flowering. Have four more trees on order for this year. Maybe pawpaws next year? Think I could get at least one this year?

Do they really taste like bananas? I try to be a locavore as much as possible, and one thing I miss terribly is bananas. But I don't have enough southern exposure to keep a dwarf banana in a greenhouse. Was hoping the pawpaws would be similar enough...

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thanks alot for that great info, i'm going to look into Fedco seeds.

Thanks i appreciate it!!

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a wild grove of Pawpaws that are 23 years old and nothing!!! Only the flowers, so I assume from reading these posts that I need a cross pollinator. I didn't plant these so I have no idea what variety they are. I have noticed that there are many plants on my lot that you could get from one of those package deals from Soil and Water and if I could determine what they were giving out about 25 years ago I could determine the variety.

I planted the native eastern Persimmon in 2002 and this year got more than I know what to do with. There are still some 50 plus on the tree in the snow, just as sweet as could be. I am so amazed to have fresh fruit in winter!

kellygirrl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Rosalind,
So we have the same varieties. One of mine got destroyed by construction workers and also came back, apparently true to graft. I wish I knew which was which right now. The one came back (the following year; I had given up on it), and in a few years had caught up with his friend, who flowers a little earlier and more abundantly, but is also in a little more sun (both are on north side of house, but do get some sun).

I believe the following to be true: I put them in 7, no probably 8 years ago. 5 years ago, they flowered but didn't produce fruit, the next year my gardening partner caressed the few darlling bunches til they fell off. The next year was a small but exciting crop, next year enough to enjoy and stingily offer samples to the "elite list", last year enough to freeze (a little fiddly) and share more broadly, this year should be great. Oh yeah, and I put in the same pair at my mother's at the same time. They are a third the size, and finally made a few fruits last year, because of her thin soil. A paw paw guy about 60 miles from me says they commonly practice flowering for a year or two before fruiting. You can hang rotten meat to attract carrion flies, their pollinators. Depending on your idea of an ornamental garden, of course. But by now the carrion flies know where to go, 'round my parts.

Some difference but not huge between the trees flavor-wise. Lightly fruity tasting banana custard in a mango looking fruit is a good description. The seeds are half the size of almonds, I think, in rows. If you thin the bunches, you get meatier fruit.

I predict they will come through for you in due course, and you will be happy.

Regarding disease resistant squash:
www.victoryseeds.com sells some edible/craft gourds, including the short season one below. (better for me) Gourds seems to be disease resistant. Hoping others weigh in.
Lagenaria siceraria
"Cucuzzi (a.k.a. 'Italian Edible Gourd', 'Longissima' or ' Indian Squash')
75 days Similar to vining type summer squash in growth habit with pretty, evening blooming, white flowers and large leaves that form a canopy over stems and fruit. The mature fruits are very ornamental and interesting."

kellygirrl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sylvie, I bet they were not a named variety. Planting any other paw paw would provide a genetic mix, if that's you're problem (tho that seems unlikely?).

I found this online, might be a fun experiment:

www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pawpaw.html
"Pollination: Poor pollination has always plagued the pawpaw in nature, and the problem has followed them into domestication. Pawpaw flowers are perfect, in that they have both male and female reproduction parts, but they are not self-pollinating. The flowers are also protogynaus, i.e., the female stigma matures and is no longer receptive when the male pollen is shed. In addition pawpaws are self-incompatible, requiring cross pollination from another unrelated pawpaw tree.

Bees show no interest in pawpaw flowers. The task of pollenization is left to unenthusiastic species of flies and beetles. A better solution for the home gardener is to hand pollinate, using a small, soft artist's brush to transfer pollen to the stigma. Pollen is ripe for gathering when the ball of anthers is brownish in color, loose and friable. Pollen grains should appear as small beige-colored particles on the brush hairs. The stigma is receptive when the tips of the pistils are green, glossy and sticky, and the anther ball is firm and greenish to light yellow in color. "

And there's always the rotten meat suggestion mentioned earlier; I'm sure it could be quite attractive hanging from your trees.:lol:

You might try talking to any nursery that sells them. The guy near me in Iowa has a small nursery and been growing them for many years, maybe talk to him. He sells improved seedlings for $8. He might be able to shed more light. www.redfernfarm.com

I have heard of productive wild paw paw patches, so I had no idea that they have trouble sometimes.

Hey, speaking of pollination, are you saying you only have one persimmon bearing fruit? They are supposed to need a friend.

kellygirrl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sylvie, I was just chatting with my gardening partner who told me that in previous conversation with Tom of Red Fern Farm, he learned that there are many stands of paw paws that have suckered into huge colonies of one genetic stock, and therefore don't fruit. Get some new stock in there and one day you could have a whole mess 'o paw paws. THEN you can hang the rotten meat, if you still want to:lol:

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just ordered 2 paw paw trees today. I can't wait til they get here, I have their spot already picked out at the new farm.

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
kellygirrl said:
Sylvie, I was just chatting with my gardening partner who told me that in previous conversation with Tom of Red Fern Farm, he learned that there are many stands of paw paws that have suckered into huge colonies of one genetic stock, and therefore don't fruit. Get some new stock in there and one day you could have a whole mess 'o paw paws. THEN you can hang the rotten meat, if you still want to:lol:
Thanks for the info. I did attempt to hand pollinate with a little brush and I throw the dead mice from snap traps in our shed into that area but no luck. I think you are right about another variety needed and that these may be un-named.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am thinking of planting sweet potatoes this year anyone grow those??? easy or hard???

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
2008 was my first year growing them, Beauregards in zone 4. They were very easy, but I have to say my yield was not extravagant. I think part of it was that we left immediately after planting for 5 days of camping during a heat wave. They really could have used some babying. They appeared to be dead when we got back, but then they greened back up and made it. I think it probably set them back quite a bit, though. Not great yields.

Latest posts