Mulch?

VVolfpack

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've seen several different ideas on mulching, just wondering what everyone thinks seems to work the best... and is cheap. I've heard wood chips attract termites, some have dyes, grass clipping may contain seeds.

I would prefer the grass clippings since they're free, but don't want to cause problems
-Thanks!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
The amazing thing about grass clippings is that they are even able to smother out grass! Just put them on heavy enough. If you put them on fresh, they pack really tight. If you have delicate plants, young seedlings, put them on dry. Use a nice, thick layer and pack them down good. As far as free mulch goes, grass clippings are one of my favorites.

I like wood chips/bark mulch for the way it looks. However for the way it breaks down so quickly and for the cost (I spent $160 one year for enough truckloads to do the job), it is a big disappointment for me and not, for me, the way to go...

I also like spent hay that the horses have wasted, particularly in the garden. I don't worry too much about the potential for seeds in that. My dad is good about getting his hay cut before it goes to seed (which is optimal for the nutrition it). It makes a wonderful addition to the tilth of my garden soil the following year.

Leaves are another good option, adding a lot to the health of your soil. I can't seem to get my hands on enough to do anything with though. And it's in the fall, so if I have them, I usually put them on my perennial flowers.

Straw is good in the garden. I like that it makes a good clean mulch, especially good for tomatoes, and it doesn't allow any rainwater to splash back up from the soil. If you have concerns about there being any seeds in it, just toss it to the chickens first (if you have any) and let them pick them all out. They love it and will be thorough!

Newspaper (no glossy print) is great for laying down prior to mulching. Soak them in piles (I use my wheelbarrow) then lay them on thick. It breaks down after one season, so I really like them for the garden.

That's my 2-cents on mulching.... I know everyone else will chime in with theirs and you'll get some good ideas! :D

VVolfpack

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you very much... Those give me some great ideas. I'm still pretty new to this (this year being my first ever garden) But I thoroughly enjoy it. Already looking forward to next year and I've yet to harvest this years veggies :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Flattened out cardboard boxes are also good (and free) and the worms love to congregate under it. You can use the clippings on top of the cardboard. There's even a term for that type of mulching; Lasagna Gardening, I guess because it is in alternate layers, just like lasgna.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
This was my first year using straw- and I am very impressed. I had issues with the edges of my garden really getting weedy. I laid about a quarter of a bail all along the edge and it worked perfectly. If a few weeds grew up through the straw- they were super easy to pull.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use straw in my duck pen. I used deep litter so only scoop it out a couple times a year. I put the dirty straw in plastic garbage cans with a mesh bottom and holes drilled in the sides. It partially composts for a couple of months and then it goes on the garden beds. Dirty duck straw works really well. I have even used it over cardboard to make new gardening beds. A little top soil on the top of duck straw and you can even plant right away. I have salad gardens going in 2 spots that are a layer of cardboard, a thick layer of duck straw and a little top soil.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use 4-6 layers of newspaper, topped with about 4-6 inches of last years leaves and grass clippings... (I have an abundant supply of leaves!) ... and a few more layers of newspaper for paths and around the edge. This holds up well in my relatively short growing season, and is tilled in each year in the vegetable garden.
With the grass clippings ... if you cut grass often enough, mature seeds should not be a problem.

I like wood chips for pathways in the perennial beds, but I don't like them around plants... too hard to work in them.

Best of luck with your first harvest, VVolfpack ... I hope it's a great one! :celebrate

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
An alternative is to use a living mulch. I sometimes use sweet alyssum for that around my taller plants and it also gives small parasitic wasps a dose of nectar that the little critters can reach. If you plant thickly enough it keeps most weeds from growing. You can also use white Dutch clover around smaller plants. It gives them some cover from the hot sun and adds nitrogen to the soil. Bees love it so you increase your population of pollinators.

chixluvdirt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I use straw straight from the chicken run/coop, as mulch- even in containers (both food and ornamental) and it keeps the ground cool, and feeds as it breaks down- I've had great results with it used as mulch.

Latest posts