MUMs!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wonder if these are the same type of frilly chrysanthemums that were in a mixed mesclun mustard green seed packet that I grew this year. They made for tasty stir fry greens when they were young, and had really pretty flowers once they matured; very ornamental. I saved seeds from two 2' tall plants, one with yellow and one with white daisy-like flowers.
I think they are different varieties. The one you mentioned is usually called garland chrysanthemums or crown daisy and belongs to Glebionis Genus. I have a few of them. Some cultivars were developed for much larger leaves (like Tiger Ear), some are very easy to take care and have the trait to grow many side shoots (like Japanese ones). I prefer those develop side shoots easily and can offer a lot of leaves in a shorter time.

螢幕擷取畫面 2023-11-14 204637.png

Usually, I need just 6~8 plants and then I can enjoy their great seasonal flavors. As they prefer cooler growing conditions, the ideal window of growing them here in my region is early spring and autumn. When it gets warm, they bolt easily.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Sometimes we just have to try.
I have always wanted to grow tomatoes in the winter. Before the freeze I brought in the pot with 2 grape tomatoes in a big pot and I have them on a table by the west window in my basement. Not really warm, but I am keeping them watered, and the green fruit is ripening. Might have more fruit if I shake the flowers. Maybe not, but it's worth trying, like propagating the mums. 😍

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sometimes we just have to try.
I have always wanted to grow tomatoes in the winter. Before the freeze I brought in the pot with 2 grape tomatoes in a big pot and I have them on a table by the west window in my basement. Not really warm, but I am keeping them watered, and the green fruit is ripening. Might have more fruit if I shake the flowers. Maybe not, but it's worth trying, like propagating the mums. 😍
Yeah! I saw Charles Dowding overwintered his tomatoes, too. The reason he did so is because of the F1 variety. He used the plants growing from the side shoots and kept them in the conservatory (the extension of the house but has a large glass coverage). I guess like chili plants, they might have a head start when the next growing season comes.

As there is nothing to lose, taking a try is always nice.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Finally, there are some tea MUMs coming. I don't think I will get a big harvest as I forgot to prune them back and facilitated more side shoots. However, having homegrown tea MUMs is still counted as a victory!
13969.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, I knew Dahlias are charming as they have countless shapes, colors, patterns, whatever; however, MUMs are superior in my opinion. They have a much much longer life, no matter in the garden or in the vases. The vase life is at least 2 weeks.

We have continuous rain recently, but those in the garden, look at them, they are so pretty even under such a wet condition, which Dahlias will deteriorate in no time.

Another advantage is, voles loves Dahlia tubers, but MUMs have almost zero pest issue.
13973.jpg

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, I knew Dahlias are charming as they have countless shapes, colors, patterns, whatever; however, MUMs are superior in my opinion. They have a much much longer life, no matter in the garden or in the vases. The vase life is at least 2 weeks.
Dahlias will grow and bloom again if you cut them. Do you get more than one cut with the mums that you grow?

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dahlias will grow and bloom again if you cut them. Do you get more than one cut with the mums that you grow?
I'm afraid the growing season here is too short for MUMs to grow again after pruning back. They need increasing night hours to develop the flowers, but it also means the temperature might drop dramatically.

Here, I have to grow Dahlias in the pots or raised beds with wires at the bottoms. I would keep some varieties but more attentions will go to summer/autumn/winter Aster family. :D

Latest posts