Mutigrafted, bare root , semi- dwarf trees

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think we should all start grafting trees! Help each other with techniques. Tons cheaper that way, and a very important skill!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
that was something else i was going to do this winter. there is someone on ebay right now auctioning some of their cuttings from heirloom apple trees. i put in a bid on both so here's hoping i can try my hand at those so later when my Pink Lady apples are big enough i can cut and graft more of them for myself! FedCoseeds has their list you can download for both scion and rootstock if you plan on ordering, which needs to be done soon if anyone is interested. Rain Tree also carries rootstock but they don't carry the scion wood. it seems there are more places to get scion wood than rootstock from what i've been finding online. :/

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a group of fruit growers who sponsor several SCION trade meets each year here in Wisconsin. I've got the name of one sponsor, but never made it to the nearest meeting.

Sounds like a really neat event though. Some folks trade for scions, some sell and some just share.

Love, Smart Red

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
One good rootstock well grown can make a good number of cuttings from each year. Each of those cuttings then becomes a rootstock.

The scion stock would need at least one of each for a start, but a couple years after, well grown also, can make also several new scions each year, and more each year.

Not only is it cheaper, but there is so much more control, the ability to make trees multigrafted with the varieties a person wants.

Add to that, a person could make a small business of selling them, even selling custom grafted trees.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
i did find a decent deal on Pink Lady apples though Rain Tree nursery! if you ordered 5 or more Pink Lady trees they were $10 each. the shipping was a little crazy but it still was a good deal since i can find only one other company that carries them and last year they ran out after i had already put in my order. i got 6 trees, 4 i'm keeping for my self while i'm going to give 2 to my sister who also loves them! now i just have to get the pollinator apple to go with hers. :D

i'd really love to find a decent deal on peach trees and a few pears.
That is a good deal 'Chickie. Raintree is in Oregon isn't it? Shipping should be more reasonable for me...I should take a look and see what they have, thanks for the idea! :)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
i did find a decent deal on Pink Lady apples though Rain Tree nursery! if you ordered 5 or more Pink Lady trees they were $10 each. the shipping was a little crazy but it still was a good deal since i can find only one other company that carries them and last year they ran out after i had already put in my order. i got 6 trees, 4 i'm keeping for my self while i'm going to give 2 to my sister who also loves them! now i just have to get the pollinator apple to go with hers. :D

i'd really love to find a decent deal on peach trees and a few pears.
That is a good deal 'Chickie. Raintree is in Oregon isn't it? Shipping should be more reasonable for me...I should take a look and see what they have, thanks for the idea! :)
there's a link along the top that is for bundled deals so you should find them quicker. they had other fruit trees listed in there. it cost me $21 something for shipping the trees to the east coast but it was still cheaper to get them through RT. i just can't wait till May for them to come! :celebrate

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky said:
That does sound like a good deal. How many are you buying for yourself, bobm?
I just purchased just the one for my wife for Valentne's day. Too, I only have the one last open space left for it to live in.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
Bobm what city is your costco in? Here in NY everything is 3x more money. I hate when on line you can't get a price till to supply your zipcode.
Vancouver, Wa. !

Latest posts