My 2020 Garden

Prairie Rose

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do you actually find dead mice? 😵

No, but that's what the garlic (and the boxes) smell like straight off the truck.

Mice are a common problem in grocery stores, thankfully the one I work at doesn't have a rat problem like some others in the area. We always have a few stragglers when the river floods, and in the fall when the weather starts to get cold, but we also have a pest control company who knows their stuff. We know how they get in, it's just a matter of trapping them and disposal. The sad thing is most of the time? They come in the front doors, same as the customers!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ask for egg boxes. They are a good size, big but not so big you can't carry it easily, and the boxes are sturdy and have handles.

those are what Mom will get if she needs boxes for her quilting materials. :) they eventually end up being used for weed barrier/smothering if we have a garden we are redoing or such. :)

JalapenosinDelco

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I got garlic planted last saturday so we should have a nice garlic harvest next year. I did 11 bulbs and 1 elephant bulb, shall see how they do.

11C734FC-9ADD-459D-86BF-AF154F6E2D5E.jpeg
AF1BCBE0-460E-4905-8AAB-1610CDA653D1.jpeg

I planted garlic for the first time last fall. Doing well it seems. Not really sure we’d ever be able to plant enough to sustain our garlic needs for the year. We are garlic lovers here... But still fun and I’m excited to see how to works out!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 34246View attachment 34247

I planted garlic for the first time last fall. Doing well it seems. Not really sure we’d ever be able to plant enough to sustain our garlic needs for the year. We are garlic lovers here... But still fun and I’m excited to see how to works out!

not much has ever bothered it here. even the deer don't usually do much to it other than walk over it and trample it when trying to get to other things. only once in a while do i find a stem chewed off.

with hard-neck garlic i can get so many starts for upcoming years that i can rapidly ramp up production to whatever level is needed.

for the largest bulbs, pick out the largest cloves from when you break apart the garlic to replant. eat the small ones and plant the big ones. :) tons of scapes can be planted to really get a huge amount going.

last year i gave away a quart of large scapes that were as big as some of the cloves from the bulbs down below. i also sent a few lbs of the same garlic to a farm so they can increase it for their own uses. several thousand plants...

i used to grow a few hundred bulbs for eating garlic and then a few hundred for eating as green garlic. the past few years i've planted about 20-30 bulbs and none for green garlic. green garlic is a really good and easy crop i just don't remember to plant it any more.

Latest posts