My Christmas Present!!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's not always easy to get a floor flat. Some tiles have differences in thickness. Dh uses a micrometer to check before laying the floor tiles.
He is driven to madness by floors that are not flat and has been known to take up and redo work when it is off just a tiny amount.
This is why I don't do tile. Gardening is less precise which suits my less precise personality. :p

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
If done right a tile last forever. Bay tip don't use white grout use colored.
I 2nd and 3rd that one. My grout is too light. UGH. Always having to scrub it clean. (They where out of my 1st choice, I should have waited for restock of the dove gray. Ant. White is TOO Light.)

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If done right a tile last forever. Bay tip don't use white grout use colored.
Right on:celebrate. When my tile guy asked what colored grout I wanted, I said as close to dirt as you can get it, best decision I ever made... if you get a stain or two in the grout it just adds to the patina:thumbsup.
DSCN1680.JPG DSCN1829.JPG
Kitchen floor just finished..............................Dining room and/small hallway

Only two rooms in the house not tiled and I'm wishing now that I had those done too. The tile makes our little shack that we paid $8900.00 in 1965 look quite presentable if I do say so myself.

Annette

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
When looking at wall paper, paint, carpet or other floor coverings, my clothing (especially work clothes), any of that stuff, a major concern is what colors and patterns will hide dirt and stains the best. As pretty as it may be to many people, pure white is a horrible choice to me. I just don't see any benefit in making life harder than it has to be.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@ChickenMomma91 hang in there, until we had our floors tiled all I had in the kitchen was a sub floor, I just slapped a coat of paint on it every couple of years, was a brick red for many years but then blue as you can see in this pic.... Actually the blue floor matched the oven color of the electric range I had at the time, pretty, but what a piece of crap that turned out to be, after using the self clean feature 2 or 3 times a lot of the finish popped off, only had it a couple of years and one night I couldn't get the front element to turn off, had to disconnect the power, then.... came the range with the handy dandy steam clean feature:hituseless as you know what on a bull. There I go digressing again:old.
DSCN1672.JPG DSCN1733.JPG
We added two rooms a couple of years after we bought this little house, old kitchen became the dining room the other a third bedroom. Hubby and I could never agree what to put down on these floors as we had a lot of gravel paths, driveway etc. Everything I suggested hubby vetoed soooo, every couple of years I slapped another coat of paint on :(. I should have made him do it and maybe it wouldn't have taken so long. 42 years was a loooong wait. Prices had gone up a bit over the years, the tile floors cost the same as we payed for our house.

Annette

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@aftermidnight I hear you. Kills me to know that repairs cost as much as or more than my original house.

Gives me faith in people to know there are others that buy fixer upper houses vs. brand new and expensive. Sweat equity is lost on some people.

Latest posts