My cup runneth over, and over and over.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I want to see that happen ``` What is that medium the seeds are in ```
I was afraid you would ask that. It is P668 germination medium from orchidseed.com. It contains nutrients, agar and of all things, charcoal. I have transferred some of the protocorms into an experimental media I mixed with M&S nutrients with vitamins, distilled water, coconut water, sugar and agar. You can brew your own media and it will work if you get it right. The M&S nutrients are mostly used for plant tissue culture, but they have everything an orchid should need. Time will tell.

experimental.jpg

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@jackb , you are much more patient than i am, I could never do that and have anything but a disaster on my hands. But I all for keeping up with your progress.
Good luck

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
@jackb , you are much more patient than i am, I could never do that and have anything but a disaster on my hands. But I all for keeping up with your progress.
Good luck
It could very well be a disaster at any moment. Doing this requires sterile operating room conditions and contamination can spoil the entire project at any time. Labs have elaborate equipment, while I have a pressure cooker and makeshift grow chamber that doubles as a hood, and lots of alcohol. Still, if it crashes it is no big deal, as it is interesting, and it is always fun to fool Mother Nature.

hood.jpg

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always thought all orchids were artificial.
From Google: "
How many different species of orchids are there?
Popular around the globe for their beauty and variety, orchids are the largest family of plants in the entire world. There are 25,000 - 30,000 different species of orchid, at least 10,000 of which can be found in the tropics."

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
interesting that the growing medium contains charcoal. it is likely sterile by nature of how it is made, large surface area for bacteria/fungi, but with a sterile medium that is defeated, so what is it for? carbon source and a few trace nutrients? do you have to innoculate the growing medium with certain fungi?

Latest posts