My cup runneth over, and over and over.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
interesting that the growing medium contains charcoal. it is likely sterile by nature of how it is made, large surface area for bacteria/fungi, but with a sterile medium that is defeated, so what is it for? carbon source and a few trace nutrients? do you have to innoculate the growing medium with certain fungi?
No, the media provides what the fungi provide in nature.

Last edited:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ya know Jack ~ I came on line with Orchids in mind ~ how to get them to bloom ```

Daughter bought a Blue Orchid ~ the bloom has long gone ~ I'd sure like to encourage it to flower ```

Think it can be done ```

And best of luck ~ with what you have going there ```

Richard
If that orchid was a real blue, it likely was just watered with blue dye.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember years ago orchids where for very special occasion, you couldn't touch one for under $100
We recently had a guest speaker at the orchid society meeting who said basically that orchids that were prize winning varieties a decade ago are now on sale in supermarkets for practically nothing. And, that orchid growing is a big business in the far east with plants being exported to this country for sale in supermarkets and box stores in huge quantities.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Sounds great ~ I had to arrange the conditions you describe to grow mushrooms a while back ~ it was easy to let in a mold that would ruin everything ```
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is an Orchid ~ I'm sure it's an Orchid ~ living in the National Forest up from here ~ I'm at about 6800 ft ~ I'd say a 500 to 1000 ft above here ~ on the way to Lake Elbert ``` ( I just looked up Lake Elbert it's described as 1100 feet long ~ the lake I'm referring to is maybe 200 ft long )

The scent of the flower is so strong and sweet ~ you know how coffee smells when you're camping ~ that's how I was able to find the plant or would have missed it ~ growing on a hip of a Pine or Fir tree ~ that's what's up there ``` It's the one and only I've seen ~ with all the backpacking I've done ```

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More power to you Jack ~ I'll help watch and look forward to seeing plant development ```

Richard

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am always fascinated by orchids, but for disposable desk flowers, I'll stick with wild flowers.
(they're free and last for weeks)
daisy.jpg

Latest posts