My driving rant.....

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've noticed that everyone is fine with going 5 mph over the speed limit and no one really has an issue with that, but when one chooses to go 5 mph UNDER the speed limit, they are constantly tailgated and harassed by other drivers as they impatiently pass them, give them dirty looks, etc. So the whole "it doesn't hurt to disregard the posted speed limits" seems to be a one way prospect....go under it by the same amounts and suffer the wrath of the angry driver. :rolleyes:

I used to be one of those impatient, angry drivers who couldn't STAND people who chose to drive the speed limit or 5 miles under the speed limit. Now I'm not and when driving these winding country roads with a million potholes big enough to toss a dog into, I'll often go 50 mph, especially if my elderly mother is with me...BUT, if I get more than one car behind me or there are no places for people to pass me, I'll pull over and let traffic proceed. I don't like being pushed down the road.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you drive through Ohio with out of state license, they will ticket you, take your license for breathing. Fine is cheaper than losing a day of work and fighting it. Friend got it for 1 mile an hour over speed limit. I think all states have local, small towns that generate income through ticketing non-local people.

I got pulled out of a line up of cars for speeding-just going with everyone else. I decided to contest it, judge informed me that she would assess more charges against me if I did. When I asked what they were, she said, "I haven't decided on all of them YET!"

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed To me, that is exactly how it should be. Many times-especially in rain-I'll pull over and let them go as I've hydroplaned too many times. Again, want to poke or have to poke, when a pile of cars get behind you, let them by. Semi's are between rock and hard spot as state makes their speed 5 miles slower and yet are suppose to,pull over when 3 cars are following.....REALLY??????? Most semi drivers are better drivers than car drivers so should be able to drive safer at a faster speed.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got a speeding ticket in Colorado City, Colorado years ago. I was going above the speed limit on a multilane road, no argument. I had out of state tags and the Colorado cars passing me were not ticketed. It's not just Ohio that does it.

To me difference in speed is more likely to cause an accident than just fast. The faster you are going the worse the accident can be if there is one but an accident is more likely if different vehicles are going different speeds. I know semi's require more room to stop but I think it's ridiculous that many states have different speed limits for semi's and other vehicles. That's going out of your way to create a problem.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My big rant is against those who text while driving. I've had someone wander over the line on my way to work, approaching me head on. I quickly moved into the breakdown lane. They other person looked up in time to veer back over to their side, fishtailing all over the place. I hope they learned a lesson. I'm sure it is not legal, but I see people doing it all the time.

I also once started moving into the breakdown lane to pass someone on the right (which is legal here) as they slowed way down with their left signal on, but they turned right instead. I was able to brake and swerve around them. I always wondered if dyslexia crosses those signals in the brain.

I hope I don't become one of those slow drivers if I am lucky enough to grow old. It is really hard to give up your mobility, especially out in rural areas. And DH and I did not have children, who would be sure to alert us when it is time to give up that driver's license. DH is holding out hope that there will be driverless cars, just in time to take over for us, but I am not so sure. So if you come to central Maine in about 20 - 25 years, watch out!
# 1 cause of death in teens.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got a speeding ticket in Colorado City, Colorado years ago. I was going above the speed limit on a multilane road, no argument. I had out of state tags and the Colorado cars passing me were not ticketed. It's not just Ohio that does it.

To me difference in speed is more likely to cause an accident than just fast. The faster you are going the worse the accident can be if there is one but an accident is more likely if different vehicles are going different speeds. I know semi's require more room to stop but I think it's ridiculous that many states have different speed limits for semi's and other vehicles. That's going out of your way to create a problem.
I agree but I don't live in Ohio and they piss me off!!!!!! Especially their FB team! :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We drove to DD's house around 530PM last night and arrived at a horrible accident probably about 15-20 minutes old. It involved a cement truck and a small sedan, and the sedan driver was a young woman. We saw her car which looked like a giant had stepped on the front and smashed it (driver's side) and broke up the windshield. She was barely conscious. Before we got there a woman was voluntarily rerouting traffic. This older woman said that she was one her way to her Vet (1/4 mile south of the accident) and sure that the driver was dead. When WE got there the driver of the cement truck was on the phone calling 911. DH, who was a SA (or asst. SA) for 18 years and had been involved in such cases and driven to accidents and accident scenes, got out to make sure that the smoking engine wasn't ready to start a fire. We carry fire extinguishers in all of of cars. Before we left the local Fire Dept and a County Sheriff arrived. We told DD (traffic SA in our county) about the accident and SHE asked if the Sheriff had asked for my DH's name/information bc there will be an investigation of this accident, as usual. The sheriff had NOT, even though WE may have been eye witnesses to this accident. =/ Sloppy. =/
I don't know if the driver survived, but I'm pretty sure that she is broken up and that they needed the jaws of life to get her out of her totaled car. I am truly sorry that she is injured and May be dead, but I'm pretty sure that she blew the stop sign and caused the accident. Can't find a local story about it yet, but I'll post it when I do. Please pray for her, pray for her family, and pray for the cement truck driver who is also in shock. NOBODY wants to have this happen, but bad driving habits die hard.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can't post it but saw a picture of Daffy Duck with caption, I get road rage going down super market lanes.... I unfortunately can relate to that. Always some woman in front with cart in middle cross ways so you can't get by and impervious to surroundings. Touch her cart, watch her go off.... sorry, I digress......

Latest posts