My Fall-Winter Garden > Ceres, California

vja4Him

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I got an early start this year ... Yeah ... !!! Started planting my Fall and Winter seeds October 17th, with successive plantings ....

Ready to plant three more small plots tomorrow. I have 102 different species of plants growing in my garden so far, with around 60 different kinds of plants.

Anyone else planting a Fall-Winter garden near my area (Ceres, California) ... ???

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't live anywhere near you, vj, but I wish I did. In the mid '80s I traveled to Modesto for one week every month. I made it to Modesto 29 times in 1984 and 1985. I met some wonderful people there and one couple invited me to their home near a small lake (just west of Turlock Lake) every time I was out there. If I remember correctly they live(d) on Hawkins Rd.??? You have stirred up some fond memories.

I'll bet you can have a garden all year 'round in Ceres.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
vjaforhim
WOW how lucky to be able to garden year round. We are anxiously waiting the seed catalogs during the cold months of Jan & Feb to dream and plan for next summers garden. Enjoy yours every day. Hugs...

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I envy you in a way, being able to garden year 'round. But, I do enjoy taking the winter off...especially when I open a jar of green beans, ham and new potatoes on a very cold day. It brings back a little bit of summer and makes all the hard work worth it. Besides, it's great comfort food!

vja4Him

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Smiles said:
I don't live anywhere near you, vj, but I wish I did. In the mid '80s I traveled to Modesto for one week every month. I made it to Modesto 29 times in 1984 and 1985. I met some wonderful people there and one couple invited me to their home near a small lake (just west of Turlock Lake) every time I was out there. If I remember correctly they live(d) on Hawkins Rd.??? You have stirred up some fond memories.

What a small world it is ... !!! Yes, I do have a garden all year long. I can go out to my garden and pick something to eat any day of the year. The cooler months are my favorite time for gardening. The heat makes me sick. I'm losing my pigments and get sunburned very quickly, which is very painful. So I don't spend much time in my garden during the summer, except just to water and pick stuff. I had to put Snail Bait around the garden, mostly to protect the seedlings and young plants.

Planted a bunch more seeds today .... 1) Fennel (Florence), 2) Stinging Nettle, 3) Lettuce (Ruby), 4) Spinach (Bloomsdale), 5) Kale (Dwarf Blue Scotch), 6) Dill (Tetra-Anethum graveolens), 7) Hollyhock (Country Romance Mix), 8) Cilantro (Coriandrum sativum).

I'm not familiar with Turlock. I did graduate from CSUS in Turlock. We hosted a young gal from Turlock, Erin Nelson, who rode her bicycle around the world alone! She stayed with us four days before her last leg of the journey to Fresno. She might have set a new world record for the youngest person to ride the same bicycle around the world alone.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vja4Him said:
Smiles said:

What a small world it is ... !!! Yes, I do have a garden all year long. I can go out to my garden and pick something to eat any day of the year. The cooler months are my favorite time for gardening. The heat makes me sick. I'm losing my pigments and get sunburned very quickly, which is very painful. So I don't spend much time in my garden during the summer, except just to water and pick stuff. I had to put Snail Bait around the garden, mostly to protect the seedlings and young plants.

Planted a bunch more seeds today .... 1) Fennel (Florence), 2) Stinging Nettle, 3) Lettuce (Ruby), 4) Spinach (Bloomsdale), 5) Kale (Dwarf Blue Scotch), 6) Dill (Tetra-Anethum graveolens), 7) Hollyhock (Country Romance Mix), 8) Cilantro (Coriandrum sativum).

I'm not familiar with Turlock. I did graduate from CSUS in Turlock. We hosted a young gal from Turlock, Erin Nelson, who rode her bicycle around the world alone! She stayed with us four days before her last leg of the journey to Fresno. She might have set a new world record for the youngest person to ride the same bicycle around the world alone.
I have been trying to get rid of the Stinging Nettle that grows wild around here and here you are planting it. :)

Good luck with the fall garden, I wish that I garden year round.

Chris

vja4Him

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
chris09 said:
vja4Him said:
Smiles said:

I have been trying to get rid of the Stinging Nettle that grows wild around here and here you are planting it. :)

Good luck with the fall garden, I wish that I garden year round.

Chris
Stinging Nettle grows wild all around, but I don't want to pick Nettles outside of my garden because of the animals .... Stinging Nettle makes delicious Greens and Tea, and is very nutritious! I dried a bunch in April and still have enough to last until I will have fresh Stinging Nettles.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
On my ranch in Clovis, Cal. some blackbird droppings had stinging nettle seeds that started to sprout under the huge old Valley Oak tree. The nettles sprang up in the spring and then proceeded to invade the pastures within months, and trust me it is NO FUN when one even tries to walk through them. I have been fighting them for 12 years now with chemical warfare after all attempts to get rid of them with mannual labor . Since heat makes you sick ( feeling sick from the heat was my first hint of comming down with diabetes type 2. Thaugh Doctors will deny it. I would get a diabetes check pronto ! ) , and loosing pigments then getting sunburned, this weed pest is another malody that will haunt you. I would kill, maim and destroy it at first sight of it's existance if it is even possible to do so.

vja4Him

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
bobm said:
On my ranch in Clovis, Cal. some blackbird droppings had stinging nettle seeds that started to sprout under the huge old Valley Oak tree. The nettles sprang up in the spring and then proceeded to invade the pastures within months, and trust me it is NO FUN when one even tries to walk through them. I have been fighting them for 12 years now with chemical warfare after all attempts to get rid of them with mannual labor . Since heat makes you sick ( feeling sick from the heat was my first hint of comming down with diabetes type 2. Thaugh Doctors will deny it. I would get a diabetes check pronto ! ) , and loosing pigments then getting sunburned, this weed pest is another malody that will haunt you. I would kill, maim and destroy it at first sight of it's existance if it is even possible to do so.
I've been thinking about requesting my doctor to run test for Diabetes, which runs in my family. I do have Hypoglycemia very, very, very bad. I have to eat many times a day, sometimes every 45-60 minutes. Every morning when I get up I am extremely ill, and can hardly even function at all, until I drink some healthy juice and eat a good breakfast.

vja4Him

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
After about three months of not working in my garden (got very depressed because of the massive damage the gophers caused), I starting digging and planting again several weeks ago.

I've come up with a new strategy .... I'm burying lots of plant containers in the ground, hoping this will keep the gophers from destroying at least most of the plants inside the containers. I've been putting Juicy Fruit Gum and Rat Poison inside almost 100 gopher holes. It might be helping to control the underground pests, but only time will tell .....

Built two Earth Boxes, the second one yesterday. Planted Potatoes, Yams, Beets, Carrots, Turnips, Radishes and Kohlrabi in the Earth Box. The gophers stole every single Potato I had growing last year. They steal almost all of my vegetables and some flowers, especially the Cosmos, Pansies, and Marigolds.

Still trapping the Cats which dig up my seeds and seedlings. These unwanted critters are keeping me busy .....

Latest posts