My gardening journal, day 1

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Judging by that picture...I need a butterfly net and a pair of sneakers. LOL!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_4924.jpg

GAH!! The snow melted away and what happens? More snow!:he

I just got the little Ed Hume Almanac and it recommends planting my peas right now. Are you kidding me?!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's my mistake! I need summer squash!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
AMKuska, I have just started doing my taxes for 2013.

Sorting thru receipts, I see that I'd already bought gladiola bulbs twice by this date . . ! I know I didn't plant them terribly early but I brought them home in anticipation of the season.

This year, it is almost unthinkable that there are gladiola bulbs in the stores right now! I suppose they will be pushing those carts of primroses out into the parking lots, soon! Oh, the inhumanity . . .

Steve

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this winter will never end! It is supposed to be winter here this time of year, but with the early start and so many, many mornings below zero, it is getting kind of old.
On the positive side, the cross-country skiing is perfect! We've cut trails through our woods, so I have a giant ski park to myself. Life is good, as long as you have warm clothes and plenty of wood cut.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
And food, Bucka', food.

Temperature-wise, this has been a fairly average winter. Two months ago, it was subzero. One month ago, it was near record warmth, but that just meant that it didn't freeze overnight a couple of January moments. Then, cold again in February . . .

I now have 4, 5-gallon buckets of kitchen trimmings with no way of getting them buried in the compost! I did carry a bag of potting soil into the greenhouse yesterday.

DW said, "You better let me help you carry that. It's frozen." I said, "What, it's heavier that way?" While she was laughing, I got it in there. Onion seed, there's onion seed yearning to be free!

Steve

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, this is the aftermath of the snow storm. :barnie:he:th:hit

It's hard to believe this is "Average". I've only been in Washington about 4 years, and thus far my estimation is...there IS no average! First winter here it didn't stop raining EVER unless it was snowing. A whole year! Best you could get for a dry day was "practically not raining." Then it didn't snow at all. Then it snowed a little bit but was mainly endlessly cold and dry...and now this!

snowgarden.jpg

Latest posts