My gardening journal, day 1

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember it averaging 108 degrees in the summer when I lived in Central TX. But you know, it wasn't at all like 108 (or even 88!) would be here. TX is drier and it feels like you are slowly being very nicely TOASTED to death. LOL. It gets so humid here in WV that sometimes the 80's can be downright miserable and suffocating. If it weren't for the crazy ex-bf I might have ended up staying in TX. They have bigger largemouth bass than we do!! :cool:

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well it has been forever since I updated this. Thought I'd give you guys some much belated photos:

DSCN3429.jpg

Some stuff is growing a little bit.

DSCN3431.jpg

Some is growing a LOT. Holy smokes! Slow down peas!

DSCN3436.jpg

And some is being harvested now! :) The radishes were smaller than I am used to, but they sure taste good!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
That garden is going well. Good for you, @AMKuska! You are picking them and I don't even have my radishes in yet. No, you don't want your peas to slow down, at least I've never wanted mine to. LOVE fresh peas.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It makes me glad that I'm in the midwest. None of Idaho's snow and -40 degree temps, and none of Texas's +120 heat and brutal sun. At least we usually don't get that. Usually it's not too hot and not too cold, it's just right. I would be split if I had to decide between dealing with heat or dealing with cold.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
That garden is going well. Good for you, @AMKuska! You are picking them and I don't even have my radishes in yet. No, you don't want your peas to slow down, at least I've never wanted mine to. LOVE fresh peas.

It's more that they are crushing the tomato cage and the stakes I set up for them, and they only just started flowering. Look out!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It makes me glad that I'm in the midwest. None of Idaho's snow and -40 degree temps, and none of Texas's +120 heat and brutal sun. At least we usually don't get that. Usually it's not too hot and not too cold, it's just right. I would be split if I had to decide between dealing with heat or dealing with cold.
So, you should fit right into @AMKuska 's world, @TheSeedObsesser !

Let's say she lives just south of Seattle in the pleasant community of Puyallup.

Monthly average highs and lows vary by 15° and 10°f, respectively. (LINK) Those cooler winter months come with a lot of rain. Every month comes with clouds and that limits warming and cooling. Warmth is so limited that gardeners have to limit their choices and wait for ions for tomatoes and such to ripen.

Washington State apples? Might be possible but the famous orchards are on the other side of the most massive mountains that anyone would ever hope to see!

Steve

Last edited:

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, you should fit right into @AMKuska 's world, @TheSeedObsesser !

Let's say she lives just south of Seattle in the pleasant community of Puyallup.

Monthly average highs and lows vary by 15° and 10°f, respectively. (LINK) Those cooler winter months come with a lot of rain. Every month comes with clouds and that limits warming and cooling. Warmth is so limited that gardeners have to limit their choices and wait for ions for tomatoes and such to ripen.

Washington State apples? Might be possible but the famous orchards are on the other side of the most massive mountains that anyone would ever hope to see!

Steve
We have considered moving to the Northwest before. It's a nice place but the property there is so darn expensive. That and the area (from what we've seen) seems to be very wild, so might as well not move there and contribute to the population.

I've been growing things here for so long that I wouldn't want to trade my growing conditions for anything else, it would throw me off too much. Also, from listening to others talk about there climates, it makes mine seem quite hospitable. I'd by far prefer my area's storms and wetness over other areas' climate (right word there?).

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am with you there, @TheSeedObsesser. I think we have the ideal climate for growing. There is a reason this part of the US is called the Bread Basket.

In a perfect world, I might have a vacation home or two that would allow me to happily toy with the soil during the cold months my 5a garden is getting its much deserved rest -- or enough hoop tunnels and heated greenhouse conditions that a warmer clime wouldn't matter one whit.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Climate is one thing, weather is what you get. Is that how it goes?

Experience with the locality? That's how I think - believe it or not! I've only gardened in a few locations. One isn't far from here but the soil is very different. Instead of a rock every inch, there are no rocks! They make bricks outta that soil and that is what I did in my garden!

The other location wasn't much different from @AMKuska - "coastal cool!" Luckily, I was young and didn't know what I was doing. So, I couldn't be held accountable. Same excuse I used when I had to help my parents in the family garden :).

Steve
Hoop tunnels and heated greenhouse! No the outdoors doesn't matter except when the snow collapses the tunnels and when the power fails! (Or the bill comes due . . .)

Latest posts