My Holly Hocks in Bloom (lots of Pictures)

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow,

Isn't that just a burst of fun. It seems the Malvaceae is the family group for you. I would suggest opening up to the possibility of adding more varieties to your Malva bed (Malva is a group of plants that in the Family Malvaceae or commonly called Mallows).

Right now, in my flower gardens along with my hollyhocks, I grow a dwarf hollyhock called Zebrina (Malva Sylvestris). Here is one in my garden from this morning.
29qk28l.jpg

Also, I have tried a few times in introducing Lavatera http://images.google.com/images?hl=...=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=791924897, but I am afraid that I have not been successful yet. Partly because of my own misunderstanding of what does well as a transplant and what does not, and the fact my chickens used to rule my gardens. :lol: Now they have their own yarden in the orchard.

I think you personally have a knack for mallows and malvas. I would be happy to share seeds with my little Zebrina Hollyhock. Just PM me and I will send you my address to send a stamp. No extra envelope, just the stamp and the seeds will be in the mail.

Also, it is quite normal for one type of Malva to cross with another type of Malva; I have a friend that had a batch of the smaller dwarfs mixing with her big double flowering giant hollyhocks.

Another favorite of mine is the Rose of Sharon. So many varieties and choices. I tried growing one from seed and it acts like a wild malva. I also added a cultivar, but I cannot remember her name; a nice pretty pink that puts on a wonderful show every year.
icpdsg.jpg

Well, I do enjoy Hollyhocks as well as all the members of the Malva. Let me know if you would like seeds. Perhaps you can drop a few of your hollyhocks seeds in an envelope with a stamp; I would be delighted to have any of those colors growing here.

Thanks again, Ron

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I got Peaches and Dreams hollyhocks (3 of them) this year and DH thought they were pigweed and pulled one out before I could stop him! It was all shredded to bits, I tried saving it but it was gone. So sad!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Karan,

I got your PM, but when I tried to respond it indicated that your box was full. :p

So, at any rate, I have your address and will send these seeds out to you tomorrow. Then you will have my address for the return trip of your seeds to me.

Thanks again, Ron

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks Ron, I also have Rose of Sharon Just 1 as of now but after some of our building projects are complete I plan to add a couple more. I have clean out my PM box some. Again Thank You I am excited to add to my Hollyhock collection :celebrate

:happy_flower Karan :D

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there :frow

The problem with growing Hollyhocks from seed (with open pollination) is that the colours are almost never the colour of the parent. Whenever I have grown them people want only certain colours.......!! :( I always tell them they will have to go to a seed company which guarantees that. However yours are all lovely Karan -- it's a great display. :bow

Happy Gardening! :tools

[Edited to say that you can take root-cuttings if you want to increase the numbers of a particular colour.]

:rose Hattie :rose

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Hattie,

Yes, your right, there are so few flowers that are "true to seed", meaning they flower identical to the parent. In essence we are creating new cultivars every season; I often catch myself naming varieties that are new to me.

I think that is part of the seasonal excitement in seeing who comes out like who and how many variations there are. I am wondering how the pinks and whites will react to mixing with the black. I bet that is interesting.

Ron

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi Greensage! :frow

I suspect (from my previous experience at my restaurant) that you get many

more pink ones than interesting mixes. Mine only had occasional white ones (which I loved & used to take root-cuttings of).

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
:frow Hi Reinbeau!

I decided to give them a rest for a year or two for the same reason. We get a lot of volunteer ones where I am so for once I ruthlessly pulled them up this spring but I notice my neighbours plants have got the rust (I am watering their plants & feeding their cats while they are on holiday).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

:rose Hattie :rose

dachsunds

Sprout
Reaction score
Karenleaf,I have found some yellows that are growing with no others around,I am going to get me seed,if you want some pm me your address and I will send you some.I also have some blacks and dark reds,some of the blacks are double .
Don't get discouraged if you have the rust. I powder mine with seven dust ,it helps some,then after bloom I cut the ugly stalks back and the plants start growing with renewed energy and make a nice clump for the following year
A bit of trivia: In the south they planted hollyhocks around the "outhouses". That way the genteel ladies didn't have to ask where the toliet was,they just looked for the hollyhocks!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OMG I love hollyhocks and the photos are just so beautiful

I started as discussed with many colors (traded seeds online with folks) and now am down to just a few because I let them "go wild"

all except a deep back black one that I covet and keep in the front yard so it will not mutate take cuttings off it and so far it hasnt..(but it is a late bloomer so I am not sure about this year) ..sadly my doubles became singles...I have pink and yellow ones that were once just pink or yellow..(I like the new mixed color better to be honest)

my deep reds are lighter but still distinctly red not pink so that is good

every year I have a new color but wish I had the doubles again ...they were so beautiful

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
dachsunds said:
Karenleaf,I have found some yellows that are growing with no others around,I am going to get me seed,if you want some pm me your address and I will send you some.I also have some blacks and dark reds,some of the blacks are double .
Don't get discouraged if you have the rust. I powder mine with seven dust ,it helps some,then after bloom I cut the ugly stalks back and the plants start growing with renewed energy and make a nice clump for the following year
A bit of trivia: In the south they planted hollyhocks around the "outhouses". That way the genteel ladies didn't have to ask where the toliet was,they just looked for the hollyhocks!
Oh Thank you so much I have PM'd you. :clap :hugs

And :welcome dachsunds Good to have you here. :throw

I knew they marked the outhouses of yesteryear. It is such a nice bit of triva. Thanks for posting it.
I don't have too much of a rust problem but those Holly Hock wevells (sp?) :barnie Is there anyone who have had sucess ridding them from the stocks? I thought I will spray with insectial soap and keep my fingers crossed. So Maybe they won't infest the seed pods so badly :rant I have been placing my saved Holly hock seeds in zip lock bags and thenplace them in the deep freeze to try to kill the nasty little buggers :rant
I too like to see what new colors come out with some of the mixes. :rainbow-sun But I also like to keep a few of them pure if possable. :watering

:happy_flower Karan :D

Latest posts