my new cud chewing beauty queen

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
So funny. Female version of Mongo riding bull. Mongo likes balloons.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I once worked on a farm that was making a commitment to cattle.

They had something like 35 first-calf heifers. They were all bred to a Charolais bull and scheduled to calf after we had finished the grain harvest. We pulled every one of those calves, except one. That heifer's labor was missed and the calf died. The others were fine.

I thought that the use of that bull was a mistake but wasn't the one making the decision. The vet was only called once, for prolapse.

You can do it, Debbie. I did, that season and others. Don't be hesitant about using your hand to find out what is going on. After all, that calf will be coming thru and it's lots bigger than your hand ... forearm, elbow.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, how about this, Debbie?

Your Beauty Queen wouldn't be out there, either chewing her cud or having a calf, if she didn't come from a long, long line of mommas.

What would we consider a bovine generation ... 4 years? Let's see ... 10,000+ years of domestication ... just during her ancestors close relationship with people, she has had over 2,500 mommas.

Steve

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am always there the 1st time a dog gives birth. Puppies are born in a sack, if mother does not rip open sack right away puppy smothered, don't know if same with calf. 1st time mothers sometimes don't know to remove sack. Never a problem after 1st litter.

Latest posts