My New Interest

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh @Carol Dee , It's not to late to learn!
My mom kept a started going for years and she made bread once a week. The one she used called for instant potato flakes. So yum. Ended up searching out opportunities to give a loaf to someone. Come to fix our furnace? Here's a loaf of bread. Paper boy collecting? Here, take some bread, too.
It wasn't that sour San Francisco sourdough, though. We don't have good natural yeast around here for "grow your own". I tried. Ugh.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol Dee look up Northwest Sourdough. The founder is Teresa Greenway and she has a 12 day video on making your starter. She teaches online classes through Udemy and The Baking Network.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mom kept a started going for years and she made bread once a week. The one she used called for instant potato flakes. So yum. Ended up searching out opportunities to give a loaf to someone. Come to fix our furnace? Here's a loaf of bread. Paper boy collecting? Here, take some bread, too.
It wasn't that sour San Francisco sourdough, though. We don't have good natural yeast around here for "grow your own". I tried. Ugh.

winter is coming! :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

i'm sure you could find starters/sources for a culture if you nose about some. :) perhaps a local bakery or homebody. or just keep trying... there are natural yeasts floating around. probably better to try again when it is warm out instead of the middle of the winter. not that i know anything much about it, but the guys up north managed it in an area i'd not expect them to capture anything much at all (along the coast of Lake Superior with not much but woodlands all around them).

Latest posts