1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Help for this member with her Peach tree - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

My New Interest

Discussion in 'The Harvest: Recipes, Canning, Preserving' started by ninnymary, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Dec 17, 2018
    Beekissed

Beekissed Garden Master

Love it, Miss Mary!!! I tried to do a starter this past fall but failed miserably for some reason. I'll try again when I'm not so busy.

One thing that always makes me curious....Mom used to keep sourdough starter going at all times and that used to be what we ate for bread while I was growing up off grid....but in all that time she never made a round loaf.

Why is it folks who make sourdough bread nowadays always make it in those round, flat loaves?

I was making bread today too...but not sourdough. Just the usual yummy stuff. The house smells wonderful!

ninnymary likes this.
  2. Dec 17, 2018
    canesisters

canesisters Garden Master

That is one PRETTY loaf!!! Bet it tasted wonderful.

3. Dec 17, 2018
    seedcorn

seedcorn Garden Master

I have noticed no taste reviews.....

4. Dec 17, 2018
    catjac1975

catjac1975 Garden Master

Looks really good.
    Try One Degree sprouted spelt flour for your daughter. I have been making breads with it for years. I love it. You have to look around for it to get a good price.

ninnymary likes this.
  5. Dec 17, 2018
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

Mary can account for her whereabouts and the uses for sourdough bread in San Fran.

For several reasons, we were kids who took sandwiches to school. Of course, I grew tired of them. Sourdough, with its larger slice round loaves, opened up new sandwich opportunities. The flavor with mayonnaise finally brought me around to appreciating that sandwich ingredient.

Then, I moved out in the sticks. Wood cookstove. Maybe it was the stove, maybe just me, I could not control oven temperatures! Couldn't make use of the sourdough starter that I nurtured ... except, I could cook pancakes on top the stove. Hey!

Bought a stovetop Belgium waffle iron. Dad kept his sourdough starter going longer than I did and mostly made pancakes. I became such a waffler that I was making them very nearly every morning for years. Should never have allowed myself to abandon the starter/baking soda style.

Steve

6. Dec 17, 2018
    valley ranch

valley ranch Garden Addicted

Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
    Oh, Mary ~ wonderful ~ Ait shad avor ~ This very good ~ and that farm loaf look wonderful ~ just has to loose some moisture ``` How fun ~ I'm baking too ~ recently at least once a week ~ love bread ~ God love you ~ how satisfying ~ did you add yeast to kick the Starter ???? Or yeast carried by air ```

I'm just now getting some good texture ~ on special breads ~ Baugettes (French) and Madnahots (Armenian)

With two cups flower (I find) I can make two baugettes and one Madnahots ``` These bread are best eaten fresh, you know, because if they are put in plastic or sealed container ~ the Crust gets soft ~ then perfection is lost ```

Well, I know how exciting crafting bread can be ~ nobody who who hasn't been there ~ well ~ happy for you and yours ```

7. Dec 17, 2018
    Rhodie Ranch

Rhodie Ranch Garden Addicted

It simply a stunning looking loaf of sourdough!

ninnymary likes this.
  8. Dec 17, 2018
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

Valley, I started my sourdough starter with just flour and water (50% all purpose and 50% whole wheat.

Steve, I’m not much of a sourdough bread lover. The San Francisco one is too sour for me. But my husband likes it so I knew someone would eat it. My homemade one is not too sour so I like it!

Haven’t made sourdough pancakes yet.

Mary

9. Dec 17, 2018
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

Seed, like everything homemade it was delicious! Taste was better than bakery. Shape and crumb needs improvement.

Mary