My New Interest

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Love it, Miss Mary!!! I tried to do a starter this past fall but failed miserably for some reason. I'll try again when I'm not so busy.

One thing that always makes me curious....Mom used to keep sourdough starter going at all times and that used to be what we ate for bread while I was growing up off grid....but in all that time she never made a round loaf.

Why is it folks who make sourdough bread nowadays always make it in those round, flat loaves?

I was making bread today too...but not sourdough. Just the usual yummy stuff. The house smells wonderful!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 29732 View attachment 29733 Made my sourdough starter from scratch. First loaf, a little gummy but so delicious!
Looks really good.
:lol: My goal is to eventually make a bread that my celiac daughter can eat. I know there are gluten free sourdough recipes out there. But I want to eventually venture into ancient grains which I hear celiac people can digest. They can go to europe and eat the bread over there with no ill effects because their flours and their processing is different than ours.

Mary
Try One Degree sprouted spelt flour for your daughter. I have been making breads with it for years. I love it. You have to look around for it to get a good price.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary can account for her whereabouts and the uses for sourdough bread in San Fran.

For several reasons, we were kids who took sandwiches to school. Of course, I grew tired of them. Sourdough, with its larger slice round loaves, opened up new sandwich opportunities. The flavor with mayonnaise finally brought me around to appreciating that sandwich ingredient.

Then, I moved out in the sticks. Wood cookstove. Maybe it was the stove, maybe just me, I could not control oven temperatures! Couldn't make use of the sourdough starter that I nurtured ... except, I could cook pancakes on top the stove. Hey!

Bought a stovetop Belgium waffle iron. Dad kept his sourdough starter going longer than I did and mostly made pancakes. I became such a waffler that I was making them very nearly every morning for years. Should never have allowed myself to abandon the starter/baking soda style.

Steve

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Oh, Mary ~ wonderful ~ Ait shad avor ~ This very good ~ and that farm loaf look wonderful ~ just has to loose some moisture ``` How fun ~ I'm baking too ~ recently at least once a week ~ love bread ~ God love you ~ how satisfying ~ did you add yeast to kick the Starter ???? Or yeast carried by air ```

I'm just now getting some good texture ~ on special breads ~ Baugettes (French) and Madnahots (Armenian)

With two cups flower (I find) I can make two baugettes and one Madnahots ``` These bread are best eaten fresh, you know, because if they are put in plastic or sealed container ~ the Crust gets soft ~ then perfection is lost ```

Well, I know how exciting crafting bread can be ~ nobody who who hasn't been there ~ well ~ happy for you and yours ```

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Valley, I started my sourdough starter with just flour and water (50% all purpose and 50% whole wheat.

Steve, I’m not much of a sourdough bread lover. The San Francisco one is too sour for me. But my husband likes it so I knew someone would eat it. My homemade one is not too sour so I like it!

Haven’t made sourdough pancakes yet.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed, like everything homemade it was delicious! Taste was better than bakery. Shape and crumb needs improvement.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
BAB9140F-5BF9-430C-A2A0-1D4F94F94C01.jpeg
Someone is getting fancy.

Latest posts