My own amaryllis cross

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm working on a website but will only sell from the backyard. I want to keep it fun. I am in Mattapoisett, Ma. just off of Cape Cod. Small backyard farm
7100_striped.jpg
One of my favorites. I call it "Helen and Janek" after my wonderful parents. It's a new cultivar. Will not be ready for sale for a couple years.
Jared77 said:
That's beautiful!

So when are we going to see your daylily hybrids?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Cat! I have to tell you, I am so impressed with you accomplishing this! It's a beautiful amaryllis, and the daylily is too. Very sweet that you named it after your parents.

Just lovely!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks. Only other gardeners can understand what we do.
thistlebloom said:
Wow Cat! I have to tell you, I am so impressed with you accomplishing this! It's a beautiful amaryllis, and the daylily is too. Very sweet that you named it after your parents.

Just lovely!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know you said you'd only sell out of the backyard but would you be willing to sell to those of us on TEG? PLEASE?!?! Your daylily is stunning. You should be VERY proud.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok..Cat...some of us don't know squat when it comes to the "birds and the bees" regarding bulbs. Could you please explain it to me so that I won't be so ignorant? ;)

Mary

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
I know you said you'd only sell out of the backyard but would you be willing to sell to those of us on TEG? PLEASE?!?! Your daylily is stunning. You should be VERY proud.
I guess I could. am not licensed to sell out of state but I guess between friends that is OK. People seem to get mad when members try to sell things so I don't want to annoy anyone. I have several hundred original cultivars,perhaps a hundred or so are ready for sale. My husband and I are working on a web page which will be ready soon. I have thousands of new seedlings that went out in the garden this past week. It will be 1-3 years before I see what they are. There will be many new cultivars this year which is so exciting daily when I go out with the camera come blooming season. I have 2 sending out spikes with is very early. The biggest problem I have had is with the organization of the beds, naming numbering etc. Tom has been better at that. I like the growing and designing in my head as I pollinate the plants. The one I posted has only 3 fans so it will be couple of years before I can sell any.I will post my favorite white. You will notice that it has 5 petals instead of the usual 3. Many of my hybrids have this genetic component. I have not seen any on any site like my 5 petaled white. I have propagated enough that it holds true with it's form. My prices will not be for the faint hearted. Hope you like!
Mattapoisett Moon
7100_white.jpg

Mattapoisett Waves
7100_purple.jpg

Seedlings in the heated greenhouse
7100_seedlings.jpg

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Ok..Cat...some of us don't know squat when it comes to the "birds and the bees" regarding bulbs. Could you please explain it to me so that I won't be so ignorant? ;)

Mary
It's really 4th grade science. I wish I could remember the teacher that had me read a book about Mendel and write a report. I know I was young enough that I could just barely understand it.
Take the pollen from one pretty and put it on the pistil of another pretty. The end on the pistil is the stigma where you actually put the pollen. The seed bud begins to swell almost immediately. Of course not every pollination takes. The seed pod develops and is ready when it cracks open. I grow them in my heated greenhouse all winter which gives me almost a whole year of extra growth. I approach it differently from the professionals I think. I am an artist and I think of the blooms like a water color painting, planning in my mind how they will combine.

There are other ways to propagate daylilies. They can genetically propagate them in a lab-no knowledge of this or desire to learn about it. Once it blooms it sends off genetically identical tubers. It can be divided buy each fan. I always say one makes 3 which makes nine etc. You evaluate which ones you want to propagate from the blooms, plant forms, height and so on.
7100_dsc_0459.jpg

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I adoing my own Lily crosses. Last year's mating failed to produce seeds before our premature shock-frost. It was a Vermeer/Fire hybrid. I'll try again.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Detlor Poultry said:
I adoing my own Lily crosses. Last year's mating failed to produce seeds before our premature shock-frost. It was a Vermeer/Fire hybrid. I'll try again.
I'm not familiar with those.

Latest posts