My own amaryllis cross

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never done daffodil but, I think it would be the same . Cross pollinate, allow to ripen, plant in coir. I think it would be a long time to produce a bulb large enough to flower.
Amaryillis , Take pollen from one , put on pistil of another, the seed pod will form,ripen, pop open,soak seed ,plant. Wait forever for flower.I'm sure pros have a faster path to flower.
marshallsmyth said:
How do you save and start Daylily, Amaryllis, and Daffodil seeds?
Daylily, pollen of one pretty to pistol of another pretty. Not all will take but, many do, Seed is ripe when the pod pops slightly. I soak seed in water with a bit of hydrogen peroxide, drain but keep moist, put in fridge for a month. (seed planted right away seems to germinate just fine). Plant in coir in greenhouse, grow all winter, plant in garden in spring, mulch to keep weeds down. (I use grass clipping and/or leaves.) Wait 1-3 years, and evaluate bloom. Transplant to growing bed with 12-18 inches between plants. Wait for the show. Separate to individual fans when plant looks hearty. July is a surprise part every day. CAUTION: DAYLILES CAN BE VERY ADDICTIVE.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
red double 2.jpg

I have 2 new double Amaryllis plants blooming for the first time from my original crosses. I still have many small seedlings. I have not found the secret to getting the bulbs to get big in a timely manor. They should bloom in 2-3 years. I am embarrassed to say how long I have waited for them to bloom. I think they have been worth the wait.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are amaryllis and daylily talented! You have some stunning beauties! I have amaryllis, but they aren't even the showy kinds, they are the old style plain amaryllis. A neighbor lady in her 80's gave me some when I was in Jr. High. I have moved a few of them to various places for years.

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beautiful! I love the striking veins and soft color in the first, but second one attracts your attention and draws you in, it just makes you want to smell it with those bright colors that really POP.

Latest posts