My own amaryllis cross

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
How wonderful that you can grow such an exotic plant outdoors.
Amaryllis are not exotic here. I put them in the ground and water them when it is dry. That's all. They are an attractive plant even when not blooming.

@Carol Dee can stick tulips in the ground and they come back up and bloom year after year for her. Here, they are pretty much a one year plant. It's just too hot for them.

The differences in climate makes for interesting planting methods.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Amaryllis are not exotic here. I put them in the ground and water them when it is dry. That's all. They are an attractive plant even when not blooming.

@Carol Dee can stick tulips in the ground and they come back up and bloom year after year for her. Here, they are pretty much a one year plant. It's just too hot for them.

too bad can't get enough ice-cubes ... :)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score

A lot of tulips are a one year plant. Not what the companies promise, but I think they sell inferior plants. I always plant red emperor or darwin tulips as they will come back for a few years. I just keep adding to them.I bought a collection of tulips last year, a lot of them for my front stone wall. A red, a white, a ruffled red, and a red/white. So far it is a bust. They are not as promised. The red/ white is a red/yellow and a poor one at that. I will give them more time but I am going to complain if it is a bait and switch. They were from a big bulb company that I buy from. I think many companies sell you a picture.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
A lot of tulips are a one year plant. Not what the companies promise, but I think they sell inferior plants. I always plant red emperor or darwin tulips as they will come back for a few years. I just keep adding to them.I bought a collection of tulips last year, a lot of them for my front stone wall. A red, a white, a ruffled red, and a red/white. So far it is a bust. They are not as promised. The red/ white is a red/yellow and a poor one at that. I will give them more time but I am going to complain if it is a bait and switch. They were from a big bulb company that I buy from. I think many companies sell you a picture.
:somadSure hope they give you some flowers. Always sad when they do not do or grow as promised. IF nothing comes I would complain too!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love those pictures. I could warm my hands over the bright colors on a cold day! I just wish mine would look like the pictures. :(

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That makes so much more sense about the bait and switch on pictures. I've seen some absolutely beautiful pictures but I've always thought the deer and rabbits ate them down and they didn't come back.

Maybe its not the critters but the companies selling me a promise with a picture....

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
in the many tulips i've bought a large number of them were duplicates of others just with different names. i quit buying tulips years ago. only certain ones survived our conditions/soils. towards the end of my tulip buying i would wait for sale prices and just pick up some that were different. always stored and displayed in difficult conditions i'd be happy if a few made it to the next season.

a few have been rock solid where planted for many years. i've never fertilized them or lifted to divide them. deer and rabbits mow them down too often... chipmunks sometimes would move them around for me... diseases get some of them. the worms clean up what's left and we go on...

my dreams of breeding pretty much went out the window with the first rounds of tulip fire.

i'm also sure for some that soil chemistry is going to play a role in color expression similar to some of the flowering shrubs...

Latest posts