My sewing box....

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, thanks everyone! It is definitely heavy. It’s built from solid ash and cherry. It’s built more as a central storage place for Dew. She has a number of smaller sewing boxes that she can transfer stuff too and carry them around. This is phase one of the project. Phase two is a solid cherry table for the box to sit on. The table will be about 14” tall, will have a bow front drawer and a recessed top that the sewing box will “lock” into so it can’t be pushed off by grand children.

Good eye Bay, and good call too. The picnic table, gazebo, cedar yard swing, swing set, and barn are all my past creations. The deck I can’t take credit for. It was actually attached to a mobile home that was taken out and a friend helped me drag it here years ago.

Here are some better pictures of the details. The lids are removable and double as pin-cushions. Of the entire project, that was the hardest part to figure out.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The only thing I had any say so in was the fabric for the pin cushions The rest was up to him. Of course there are no drawings for it, just an idea in his head again. :D There were no voices involved in this project! :lol:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just fantastic! I love those dovetails, the contrasting wood colors, the whole box is fantastic. I like your idea for a table to hold this piece. That will eliminate any problem of being too heavy to carry around and still be a work of art.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok, you get this fan-tabulous sewing box for Mother's Day, what does MontyJ get for Father's Day?

A

quart

jar

of

sweet

pickles?

:lol:

Oh, I am so beginning to not like you. :gig

Red, the dovetails are actually dovetail keys. It's kind of hard to explain, but basically I built the box with 45° miters, then glued it up. Once dry I put it in a homemade jig that would hold the box on its corner. I then ran the corner of the box over a dovetail bit in the router table. That gave me a dovetail slot in the corner of the box. After that, I took a length of 3/4" cherry stock and ran it along the dovetail bit, on both sides, to create the keys. I then used the table saw to rip the length of key stock off and cut it into 2" lengths which I inserted into the slots. Once dried, I cut off the excess and sanded flush. It gives the look of dovetails, without the hassle of hand cutting them (which I admit, I cannot yet do). The keys have the same function as true dovetails in that they hold the joint tight, even if the glue fails.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok, you get this fan-tabulous sewing box for Mother's Day, what does MontyJ get for Father's Day?

A

quart

jar

of

sweet

pickles?

:lol:

Heck NO he isn't getting my sweet pickles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe I'll get him a jar of dill pickles...depends on how nice he is to me on Sunday, and until father's day! :lol:

Latest posts