My strange remuddled house

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Walnut. I had 2 huge walnut trees when I had the old Victorian house 20 years ago. Not only are the nut shells nasty to deal with, they are also toxic to any future plantings. In that place, we were not able to even think about growing a garden.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
moxies, you had me worried when you kept saying you planted stuff and it dies. I was glad to see your list of things that you can grow.

Mary

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lol Mary. I tell you...this property is strange!! :hide

I have a very green thumb. I have had over 35 houseplants ....lost some of them to the polar vortex last year though. I did have to bring one hen inside for that one. She was half naked and prob wouldn't do well out there at that time.

I have always had a green thumb, and have had lovely beautiful productive gardens when I could.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh, also, when we bought the place in 2010...we were experience sever drought. Not able to use the well water for the gardens. Had to use rain water for gardens and laundry. I was even using gray water from the house to water the flower beds.
In 2013, the drought ended. Still can't use well water for the gardens though.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmmm.....thorny vines.....HEY! What about planting blackberries or raspberries? Just get the thornless. :)

There is red clay dirt all around our place, but we have sandy soil. Down the road is a white horse in a small lot and he has trampled all the grass, exposing the red, iron ore dirt. Needless to say, the formerly white horse is ORANGE!

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ahh yes....blackberries. I forgot about those. I have to pull the shoots out as weeds in the garden. Dang that stuff hurts if you catch one the wrong way. :barnie

Last year, I spotted bunches on the way to town. But as I don't know who owns the properties, all I could do was drive by them. And I love me some fresh black berry cobbler too.:drool

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have read that Arbor Day trees are not good trees. Most people have one out of several live.
My first order was for 20 trees = 1 survived, second order 6 trees = 0 survived. There is NO reorders from this kid. :(

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My thoughts were...at least I didn't spend loads of $$ on trees, just to have them die. I have planted many different things here so far...from Walmart, nurseries, you name it. Most of it is all dead. That's frustrating....to purchase plants that have already started...and then they die.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I forgot a tree. I have one crabapple that survived and a different one. I can't remember the name of it now. BUt i dug holes, by hand...arrgggh....filled the holes with topsoil, planted the trees. They are on opposite ends of the acre...diagonally.

Latest posts