My Vermicomposting Project

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I read everything I could get my hands on (the local librarian thinks I'm quite nuts :lol:), and this is what I came up with.

This is the bin they will live in. I drilled drainage holes in the bottom (about 6 holes) and ventilation holes in the top/sides (about 30 holes). I used a 1/4 inch drill bit so they can't crawl out.

6256_dsc01680.jpg

Their bin sits inside another bin that will catch all of the runoff (worm tea). I fastened two 6 inch blocks in the bottom so the bins won't get wedged together.

6256_dsc01679.jpg

Here they are together. Below that is a pic of the fawcet I will install later so that I can just pour out the runoff without having to tip the whole affair on it's side to get the "liquid gold".

6256_dsc01681.jpg

6256_dsc01683.jpg

Here is the beginning of the bedding-2 parts shredded newspaper (no glossy or highly colored). To this I added 2 parts peat moss (soaked in water for 24 hours) and 1 part sterile potting soil. I moistened everthing to the consistancy of a wrung out sponge. You can see the ventilation holes in this pic.

6256_dsc01682.jpg

And here is the finished project with the worms in their new home (with a banana peel for a snack after their long journey). It will usually have the lid in place. As always, my pup is overseeing the entire project.:love

6256_dsc01684.jpg

I ordered my worms from Topline, and was very pleased with them. I started out with two pounds of red wigglers (no earthworms or nightcrawlers-no good for composting). I will feed them approx a pound of food a day, but will keep an eye on them and back off if they are still working on what I've given them previously. I will keep the bins moist (probably a light mist each morning, as I live in the high desert where it is hot and dry.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for checking out my project. Le tme know if you have any questions, as I have now know more about worms than any woman should!:p

Happy worming!!!!!:frow

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi desertgirl, :frow

Very interesting looking at the photos of your project -- I want to try something like that out myself. I already have 2 big compost bins which I use for processing my chicken poo & garden waste but it would also be very useful to put the waste from the kitchen into a worm bin. Especially in the winter,when I could keep it under cover in an outhouse up near my house -- it's a real pain having to trek down the garden& out through the gate to access the compost bin.

At what temperature do the worms stop working? Do you have to dilute the liquid from the bottom before you feed it to your plants? At the moment I make buckets of "Jollop" to my old Grandfather's recipe:- Chicken poo, Elder leaves & Nettles, plus water to cover & left to seethe in solitary splendour for 2-3 weeks or until your neighbors complain....!! I then drain & dilute with water, according to what I'm using it on. :celebrate

Good luck with your project as I am going to keep watch on your results. :thumbsup Thank you for posting it. :bouquet

:rose Hattie :rose

:rose Hattie :rose

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks really cool. Good for you! I have the same question as Hattie.... what about winter? I guess that is not much of an issue for you...I suppose you could keep them in the basement or something- but I can't help but feel a little grossed out by worms in the house...How much "tea" do you think you will get with that bin? Very interesting project, keep us posted!

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thanks for sharing your project ..
it is so on my list, i'm still in the research phase, your photos really help ..
do you know the worm tea, is that run off from the moist papers and the misting?
how often will you have tea made?
i was thinking of a wooden box, but i like your plastic one and love the faucet idea too, will you keep your guys inside or out .. i was thinking on my back porch ..
again thanks for sharing and the photos are great!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow... I love seeing actual images going with the explanation! Makes me get interested in it again, but at the same time I am still not so great with worms. Digging outside, I find them and toss them into my compost pile. I see no reason to buy worms, I just do what my grandparents did.... find a worm and toss it in the pile.

This however is perfect for your raised bed. You are creating the perfect food for your plants. Please keep this updating.... who knows, I may change my mind! :lol:

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi!

Checked on the gang this am, and everyone seems to be doing well. The banana peels are still there, but I've heard that the worms may be a little shellshocked from their voyage and might not get to eating for a day or two.

As for the winter, I have a shed out back and a red light I use for my baby chicks. I will use this during the coldest months (it doesn't really get too cold here in the winters-maybe teens to 30's for lows. Worms like to live between 50-70 degrees (ish). The soil will keep them cool in the summers.

As for worm tea, here is some info that I found that answers many of the questions;

"Worm tea is not only a great organic plant food it is also a natural repellent for aphids, spider mites, scale and white flies.

This product will not kill insects, but repels them with a smell not detected by the human nose. Worm tea is also good for covering large areas such as lawns, orchards, gardens, etc. This type of organic plant food is said to increase plant appearance and up productivity by 4-10 times. Plants really perk up with this product, almost over-night. Its like having a compost pile in a bottle, much easier to use and its available year around.

Worm tea can be used for seed germination by using the wet paper towel spout method or water newly planted seeds. When used as plant food it can be diluted 50/50 with water and applied with each watering or it can be applied full strength once a week with water application between each use.

This product will not heat up and burn your plants, it (like castings) works as a soil ammender and sits in the soil until the plant is ready to use it. To use as a repellant spray plant liberally with tea full strength, apply again after rains.

The use of organic products actually reduce the cost of gardening in the long run because the long-depleted soil is gradually restored naturally and plants grown in this soil begin to develop their own defenses against pests and diseases.

Cut flowers love a teaspoon added to the water, it increases length of live and promotes more blooms.This organic plant food is great if you have pets or children, there are no chemicals to be breathed in, digested, or absorbed through the skin. "

Happy worming!:D

DG

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh-as for the amounts of worm tea, there is approx. 1/2 inch of tea in the catch bin now. I figure with daily misting, I should have enough each week to spread around and will just alternate between the plants.

Happy worming!:D

DG

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Quick update on "El Casa de Los Wormies" :p.

Everyone seems to be really happy. I decreased the amount of water slightly, as it seemed a little too wet and I noticed a few worms crawling up the sides, as if trying to escape. Now that I have lessened the amount of water, they seem content-no more attempted escapees, and the food is being consumed rapidly.

Yay for happy wormies!!!:weee

The only downside is that it has also decreased my amount of run off/worm tea. I think I will compensate for this by waiting a couple more weeks until I have a decent amount of castings built up, then I'll take some out and let it seep for a couple days in a pail of water (I read that using a pair of pantyhose is perfect for this...haven't bought pantyhose in about 15 years, but oh well!:D).

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the feedback!

DG

Latest posts