My Vermicomposting Project

mtn_penny

Leafing Out
Reaction score
This is going to be my next project. My only concern is that I am really to hot and dont have much shade to offer the worms and I am thinking I might end up cooking them.

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
mtn_penny said:
This is going to be my next project. My only concern is that I am really to hot and dont have much shade to offer the worms and I am thinking I might end up cooking them.
I have had that concern myself and have decided to put my bin on the north side outside of the utilityroom of our greenhouse and have even thought of digging a at least 2 -2 1/2 foot deep hole to place the bin in. Just to keep it from over heating. As soon as I get my bin put together I let all know how it is going and post pics. I am hoping to get things together the end of the month :fl :clap :fl
Going to be :fl too buzy with sales at the greenhouse to do it this weekend :weee :rainbow-sun :weee

:happy_flower Karan :D

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It has already been in the 90s here, and mine are no worse for wear. They are protected from direct sunlight on my porch. During the hottest part of the day last week I stuck my hand down in the soil, and it was very cool to the touch. Worms didn't seem to even notice.

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
LOl. They are pretty cool...:)

It looks like it is just about time to chage out my bedding/harvest my castings!

It has been just over a month since I started my bin. All is well. I can't really see any of my shredded newspaper, which is the sign that it is time to harvest. I am going to let them finish up some of the food I put in a couple of days ago, so they will be nice and hungry. Then I'll (gently!) shove everyone over to one side of the bin, and mix a little of the old bedding in with another batch of shredded newspaper and put it in the unoccupied side with some treats. The gang is supposed to migrate over, as they evidently don't like crawling around in their own castings too much. I'll give them a day or two (not sure how long it will take them). Then I can take the beautiful composty castings and put them in my garden (ridiculously excited about this, by the way!).

I'll try to remember to get pics of the operation and post them soon.

One thing I would offer to those who are thinking of doing this project; I used a good amount of peat moss in my original set up. Although this has really helped with the moisture content and reducing the need for frequent misting, I haven't gotten much of the infamous worm tea I was looking foward to.This time I wil only add a little bit from the old side (as kind of a starter material), and this weekend I will steep some of the castings in a pair of pantyhose in a bucket of water for a couple of days. Although I expect I will have to water them more frequently, I hope this will yield me more tea on a regularly basis from jsut the runoff. We'll see....

Happy Worming!:tools

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks Desert Girl some good info there :caf :clap

Well I am half way there as I found a large tote bin in the barn that I no longer have the lid too :woot I got my bin bottom :ya Now to buy one with a lid that fits into this one :weee

:happy_flower Karan :D

mtn_penny

Leafing Out
Reaction score
One of my friends does worm composting as well but he said he just dumps his upside down for a couple hours or so to get the castings then starts the new bed for them. So I am anxious to see how you do this.

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes-I have heard of this. You basically dump them in the sunlight or under a light source of some kind, they dive to get away from the light, and then you lightly brush off the castings and put the ball of worms into the new,prepared bin.

I know this sounds silly, but this seems kind of traumatic to the poor critters...:rolleyes:

(But if the worms don't cooperate, this is my back up plan!):plbb

Latest posts