My Vermicomposting Project

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wow thanks so much for sharing .. i'm so excited i found this site .. with everyones knowledge maybe i'll succeed too!

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Update-

I put about a half a pound of food (banana peel,egg shells,lettuce,tomatoes, and cantaloupe rind) yesterday, and it is basically gone today!!!! I have read that red worms can eat about half their weight per day...that is amazing! So I started out with two pounds of worms, and will increase the amount I am feeding them (keeping an eye on how fast they are going through it, as overfeeding can be a real bad thing for your bin).

When adding food, I sprinkle the food with dirt. Worms have gizzards (just like chickens), and they need the dirt to "chew" their food. I bury the dirt sprinkled food (don't want flies), and mark the spot with a stick so I can bury the food in a different spot of the bin with my next feeding. Roatating it like this makes the distribution of worm castings spread out more evenly, which is better for your bin.

Anyway, things look like they are going well. I'll keep you posted.

Happy worming!:happy_flower

DG

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My goodness DesertGirl you are a Book Worm aren't you!! ;) :gig

Some great photos and nice looking setup :clap :clap :clap
Great info on the tea :caf Now I know where to go for my reference materia :celebrate I think I may follow your example Sure looks like you have given me some great insperation :ya :clap

Thanks I will be probably asking more ??????

:happy_flower Karan :D

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Eggshells. Best thing ever for worms. I have started adding one or two per week,ground up, and they are going through the food even faster. I'm not sure if it acts as grit, or if the calcium does something to their little metabolisms, but I have relly seen a difference!

:woot

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
desertgirl said:
Eggshells. Best thing ever for worms. I have started adding one or two per week,ground up, and they are going through the food even faster. I'm not sure if it acts as grit, or if the calcium does something to their little metabolisms, but I have relly seen a difference!

:woot
What about Coffee grounds too? I put coffee grounds, used tea bags and eggs shells in my compost and when I turned it last week had few big earth worms there. Getting DH to help put together a worm bin was gettign down to the bottom of his todo list but since you posted this thread I can get it all together myself :woot. Now just to find the right place to set it all up. :rolleyes: hmmmm gota think on that. ;)

:happy_flower Karan :D

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yup-they love coffee grounds.

As for location, mine is under my potting table on my covered porch for the summer (temps 50-90s here). This winter I will move it into the shed and put a small red heat lamp on it as necessary. They make thermometers that go into the soil...I think I'll invest in one.

Good luck on your bin!!!:thumbsup

Latest posts