My Vermicomposting Project

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here's a hint; I've noticed that if your worms are taking forever to eat the last batch of food you put in (especially hard to break down stuff like potatoes and asparagus), add some mushrooms. I threw some portabellos in the bin, and they went nuts!!!!!:)

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I suppose its a smart idea to make a worm bin with untreated wood...? I can't find any that isn't. Well, at least there isn't any at Lowe's.

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The worm company did warn against treated wood, but remember that it will need to be moist all of the time, so wood will rot. That is the reason I went with plastic.

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Since you had them for a while im wondering have you noticed any smell? I thinking about putting them in my kitchen so smells are a no no.

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am about to start my worm farm and I have been looking aroud at different plans. I have decided to do one that is similar to dessertgirls with rubbermaid containers.

I read that 3 containers are recommended to make sure the worms are never flooded.

I've been looking at rubbermaid containers and the blue ones look about right... but I can't seem to decide on the size. They come in 10, 14 and 18 gallon.

What do you think?

and has anyone installed a spout in the bottom container? What did you use? How did it work out? Did you have to use a sealant to prevent leaking?

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Bump

any advice on container size?

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
My 10 gallon fish tank isn't doing anything--could I use that for a worm garden?
ohhh I have lots of unused fish tanks. Would be awesome if they worked.

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Just an update- I was worried about the worms over the winter, but am happy to report they are doing just fine. Not as active as they are in the summer (so i am adding less food), but they look good. They are on the back porch up against the house (away from too much wind), and as you can see on my original post, the bin itself is up off the ground (so no conductive heat loss there).

Thought I'd share!:frow

SheaWhat

Sprout
Reaction score
Thank you for documenting your progress so thoroughly.

I plan on starting a worm bin by the end of the month, but I'm not sure whether I want to spend the money for one of the pre-made stackable versions....... OR......... follow your route and save money by making my own.

Any thoughts on that?

Latest posts